Help!

Hi,
I may be wrong, but it seems he is using 35mm film and does some cross processing (or the images are really old). Unlike nowadays, when a lot of the look is determined by the tpye of camera, in film days it was the kind of film you used, because the "sensor" size was always 35mm. In this case though I think it was an SLR, because some of the images have rather shallow depth.
Some of the images in your link are scans from magazines, especially the first one (or there is a photoshop thing going on to create a similar effect).
Those vintage film colors are not too difficult to create in editing programs like lightroom. The difficult part would be the film grain, and that particular blur that's why I think those images are actually film.
Plus: he does some of the "biggest photography mistakes" ;) on purpose and selects those images to showcase his work.
Does that help?

Over saturating the photo in post will get you close, and have the white balance be off a tad.
The images you chose are stills from a motion picture, Happy Together made in 1997.

Here is a list of other gay movies if you are interested.

Last edited:
So, CD1923 wants us to look at photos by Christopher Doyle, sounds like CD wants us to look at CD. Not a problem, just curious.
IMHO - The first photo looks like it was shot in very low light with high ISO or with film too slow for the shot. Others are out of focus or showing movement in what I presume the photographer considers an artistic way. Interesting art. Framing tells a story well in most of the photos.
No camera info attached other than from an Apple computer.

So, CD1923 wants us to look at photos by Christopher Doyle, sounds like CD wants us to look at CD. Not a problem, just curious.
IMHO - The first photo looks like it was shot in very low light with high ISO or with film too slow for the shot. Others are out of focus or showing movement in what I presume the photographer considers an artistic way. Interesting art. Framing tells a story well in most of the photos.
No camera info attached other than from an Apple computer.
It was a movie, not staged as a photo shoot.
And it was in 1997.

The OP asked a question about the photos reached by the link. The answer referenced those photos. The movie was not part of the OP's question.
The photos were taken during the shooting of the movie, it was never set as a photo shoot, so that's the reason for the movement in the shots and the poor quality. Some of the "photos" were not even photos at all but still frames of the movie, just to clear things up. :)

Most reactions

Back