here i go again with the rose

chall33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so as suggested i tried to take more pictures of this rose at some different angles and what not. just a reminder, i am a beginner and i don't expect any photos i take to be printed, framed, and sold!:blushing: this is all just practice and i am going through the learning process still! i'd appreciate c&c!

DSC_0573.jpg

DSC_0583-Copy.jpg

The framing it's ok. The lighting it's not. Try not to use flash, go outside and use the beautiful light of the sun :) (try to do it in the morning or when the sun sets that's when you get a beautiful light)
Direct flash light makes hard shadows, as well as the direct sun light.

thanks, i thought the flash probably wasn't a good idea. it is tough to get good lighting in my apartment and i'm not quite sure where to shoot outside without having cars in the shot heh. i'll see what else i can do.

Hi again, chall33,

Better. The distracting 'floor' is gone, keeping more attention to the subject. Placement is better, too. One thing in general is to have the 'action' facing the more open space in the shot. For example, say you are taking a shot of a boat racing thru the water. You'd want the boat to be going into the shot, not ready to leave the shot. In other words, if the boat is going left to right, you'd want it in the left, and visa versa.

So, to apply that concept in the first shot, the rose may have more 'action' if it were on the right, instead of the left, as the rose is facing (going) left. You can also give it more direction by raising or lower it in the frame.

Finally, brightening up the shot and adding some contrast may help. It all depends on the 'mood' you want.

Below are two examples of the above. They are to give you food-for-thought and are not meant to be final edits at all.

TR

example one:

RoseExample1.jpg

example two:

RoseExample2.jpg

thanks tworails!! that looks a lot better. i had read about leaving an open path in front of a moving subject and now see how it also applies to any subject really so i'll definitely apply that to any photo, not just of subjects that move. it is amazing how it really improves the photo. your edits were very helpful. i love learning! thank you very much

I would try with a different specimen - if you're gonna be taking photos this close-up, you really want the rose to be perfect with no brown bits or signs of wilting.

Editing also helps you work with what you have. Notice that in the second example above, some of the blemishes were removed.

Most reactions

Back