Hey yal!!! Sissy Needs Help!

Does anyone have any other ideas on cameras....Maybe tomorrow i'll make my purchase!!! Please put some knowledge in my head lol jk.

I started with a Nikon D40 and just upgraded to the D90.

I found the D40 vary user friendly for my first DSLR.

Also look at the D3000. It's a newer model in the same price range.

Aliaspros, or anyone how do you know what to look for in a good lense? like what specs (or details about the lense) should i look for in buying one

Look for a RED stripe around the rim of the lens! LOL Just kidding... L's may be a bit far off for a starter... I would look for a wide aperture f/2.8 or below. This will get you shooting in places and lighting at speeds that your kit lenses cant touch... Prime (fixed focal length) lenses are good for a beginner because they force you to compose your shots by walking closer or further from your subject and you will learn a lot more then cheating with a zoom kit lens... Just my thoughts. :D

Last edited:
Does anyone have any other ideas on cameras....Maybe tomorrow i'll make my purchase!!! Please put some knowledge in my head lol jk.

Go to an actual store, like Best Buy, which will have Canon, Nikon, and Sony cameras. Ask the sales associate what you can get for your budget. There will be camera + 18-55 + 55-200 tele-zoom packages. One particular camera in your price range will be a good choice for you. If they have the Pentax K-x, that little camera is getting excellent reviews as an outstanding JPEG imager, even at high ISO settings--better than Canon, better than Nikon, better than Sony cameras both in its price class, and above its price class.

Canon,Sony,Nikon,Pentax. At the first-camera and $700 level, your d-slr options are the ones you can afford. All are competent. It's Nike-Reebock-Puma-Skeechers

This will be my first "real" camera if you will and I went with the Nikon D3000(on the way in the mail). I just remind myself that ANYTHING is a step up from the P&S I have now, right? Most stores have the D3000 for $500 right now, with the lens.. and the price swayed me. I would have loved to get the D5000 but I couldn't justify spending another $200, but thats me.

Just be prepared when you get your new camera. Many people get it and think it will improve their skills a bunch. If you have no experience in photography other then snapshots with a point and shoot you will soon find its the photographer more then the equipment. (Equipment helps in the right hands) There are people on here who can take your point and shoot and you can take their $5000.00 setup and they will have shots that you won't believe and you won't be able to shoot anything good. The best advice I can give you is to read up. Get a copy of Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It will go a long way and is a great bang for the buck. When I first got my DLSR and tried to get out of the auto modes and learn some things my pictures looked worse then the ones I took with my point and shoot.

Get something you can grow with. I always hear people talk about starter cameras like the Canon rebel's or the lower line Nikon's (D40, D3000, 5000 etc) I would stay far away from them unless I wanted something to use in place of a P&S. My number one reason for the lower end Nikon's is the lens
compatibility. The big one here is the lack of a AF motor in the body.. MF is a real PITA with the newer AF body's especially when you have a AF lens mounted on the body (frustrating) And sometimes you can pickup a great deal on a older lens.. Case in point: I just bought two off CL at a great price. one was a Sigma 15mm 2.8 D and the other was a Tamron 35-105 SP 2.8. I might of passed on them if I had a d40 or d5000 etc.

As far as the Canon Rebel line gos they feel like a toy to me. I remember when they came out back in the 80's and I said the same thing back then.
I would buy a old EOS 10 or 20d before I bought anything in the rebel line.

thank yal so much for your opinion... i think i'm debating between the two either a d40 or a d3000. the d40 has the faster flash and i think that might be the best even thou its alittle older. what do you all think about my research finding?

and maybe later on invest in a real good lense

Really depends what you are looking to take pictures of and what you want to do with said pictures. I have a Nikon d40 and love it. Many people hate on it because of the low megapixel count and other limitations. But I like to shoot bands in dark places and the fast flash sync speed was a selling point for me. i wouldn't recommend a new lens right yet. I say get a camera and kit lens and get to know that camera in and out. When you understand how to get the best out of that lens, then look into a new lens. One accessory I recommend right away is a new flash. The built in flash tends to be harsh and unflattering.

I am a nikon guy, so at work (best buy) I usually tend to tell people about nikon. The d3000 or d5000 are great cameras for someone in your position. The d40 I dont think you can find too easily in a store. I saw one at radioshack a while ago. But it is a great camera.

The d5000 has a vari-angle lcd which is pretty cool so you can take a shot with the camera way above or below your head and still see the screen by tilting it. the d5000 also has d-movie mode. So if you are on vacation and want to take a video, you can.

hope i helped in some way. canon does have quality cameras, but it is a preference thing.

Last edited:
I am a nikon guy, so at work (best buy) I usually tend to tell people about nikon. The d3000 or d5000 are great cameras for someone in your position. The d40 I dont think you can find too easily in a store. I saw one at radioshack a while ago. But it is a great camera.

Wal-Mart still carries the D40, and with the name Sissy, and all the "ya'lls" I am sure you know where the closest wally word is.

You can find them cheaper on craigslist though, if you are patient.

p!nK

that was kind of uncalled for lol. i have never seen one at the walmarts here.

I have seen a LOT of Craigslist D40 and D60 outfits lately, at some very fair prices. A lot of people who bought the two-lens kits with the 18-55 and 55-200mm zoom package are selling them as they move up to the Nikon D90. Keep in mind that there are TWO 18-55mm and TWO 55-200 zoom lens models; there are those that do not have the Vibration Reduction, and those that do have the Vibration Reduction, so, the prices and the value of the various kits varies slightly.

In my mind, the 55-200 is the lens that will benefit the most from being a VR model, because indoors, yuo will often be using flash with the 18-55mm lens, but outdoors, having VR will help when doing slow-speed panning, or when it's windy, or you're a bit out of breath, or when shooting kind of fast and loose; under those types of conditions, a telephoto zoom lens with VR is very helpful!

I have seen D40 and 15-55 + 55-200 two-lens kits in the $425-$525 price range, which seems fair to me for lightly-used amateur-owned gear. You night be able to exert a slight bit of negotiating leverage by audibly noting that, "Oh, this is the basic, non-stabilized lens model,and not the VR model," etc.etc. Craigslist is a horse-trader's marketplace.

Most reactions

Back