Hi Everyone, Looking for some help on which is best DSLR to buy for beginner??

Sham92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am moving from a bridge to DSLR, recently finished diploma in photography and time to move away from the bridge. My price range is 500-700 euro.

Current camera is Nikon.

Just so many out there I don't know what to choose.

I will be using it mostly for landscape and wildlife photography.

Any advice would be amazing, TIA

Entry level DSLR with kitzoom and telezoom, then.

You're in luck. Currently for some odd reason Nikon has published two entry level DSLRs which are INFERIOR to their predecessors. So I would advise you to get the D5500.

Combine that with the 18-55 plus 55-200 and you should be golden.

Alternatively if you're OK with buying used, you might consider a used but well treated D7100 with low enough shutter count. That will give you better autofocus, weathersealing, second card slot and many more features lacking in entry level bodies.

For landscape you might want to get a tripod and a polarizer filter. The tripod is for being able to shoot longtime exposures in low light conditions and for having braketing to handle especially harsh lighting situations (as they are common with landscapes) and the polarizer helps with reducing reflected light, a very essential tool in landscape photography.

In the long run you might want to get a Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5 VC "II" wide zoom as well; its currently clearly out of your budget. You can do panorama series until then, though.

For wildlife having only 200mm as the upper limit is not much, depending upon the animal you want to shoot, so again you might want another lens for that area; however it should be pointed out that it get really pricey really fast in that area.

Last edited:
excellent beginners cameras will be one of these 4 in your price range, all 4 are great but number 4 is the best one and 1 is the lesser due to less options in each model but all pack a great sensor and overall are very good!
1.Nikon D3300
2.Nikon D3400
3.Nikon D5300
4.Nikon D5500
Get them with the kit lens and then as time progress add lenses you fell you want like a 50mm prime or telezoom like the 55-200mm or 55-300mm or maybe some other lens

Nikon D3400 Camera Review | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

From Thom Hogan's D3400 review: "consider the D5500, which is US$100 more. For that extra money you get a slightly less rough-at-the-edges camera with a fully positionable touchscreen LCD, a flash with more power, 14-bit raw, exposure bracketing, and a better autofocus system that extends over more of the frame."

The ability to use the NEW AF-P and AF-P VR lenses is a major plus for the 3400 and 5500 models.

HERE is a huge reason to buy a D3400 or D5500: amazing performance with the NEW, low-cost AF-P 70-300 VR lens.Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR DX | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Seriously: this AF-P VR lens is a big advancement!

THOM HOGAN QUOTED PASSAGE:

"If you need a low-cost, light, competent DX telephoto zoom and have one of the most recent low-end DX bodies (D3400, D5500), the 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR just became the lens to buy. Optically, it seems clearly better than the 55-300mm, and in good light with a cross sensor the autofocus performance is in a whole other (far better) category, too.

For a US$400 lens, the 70-300mm AF-P consistently produced excellent, contrasty, and well focused images across it’s entire range, even wide open. I think that’s what we want, right? The other performance characteristics were also above what I’d expect at the price point.

No, the build is not rugged. No it won’t work on many (most) older Nikon DSLRs. But if you’ve got a recent DX DSLR and need a telephoto lens, the 70-300mm AF-P just became a better choice to me than the 55-300mm, or even the older full frame 70-300mm f/4-5.6. Yes, I wrote that. The 10-year old 70-300mm AF-S lens is nearly double the weight and struggles a bit with the 24mp DX sensors. I don’t see that same problem with the new 70-300mm AF-P. "

Most reactions

Back