High dynamic range?

Funky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, well here it goes, i was told today by my prof that HDR imaging is bad, now when i first heard this, i thought to myself...what the hell? and im still thinking that, he said because that its not 1 original picture but 3 taken and spliced over one another its not original and there for isnt acceptable, my argument is that its just as legit as something photoshopped. im going to start doing more of it but i just wanted to get some input on what you all thought. is it as impressive? is it ok for gallery work?

thanks

zack

You could argue this point till you are blue in the face with some people. I'd ask if he has ever manipulated ANY image (film or digital).

If so then he's blown away his own argument. It's just another way of manipulating to make something better of your photography.

I'm not all that keen on some though. Too many people use 1 image and to me it looks false. Using 3 images can provide great results and true HDR.

HDR is just a tool to make things look more like your eye would see it , in my opinion... You're caturing all the detail in the image instead of just what the sensor/film can expose without blowing out highlights or having dark areas with no detail

I say what a rediculous comment by your professor.

hey phil! lol, i had to... yeah, i agree with you, thats kinda a wierd thing to say, i think my brothers photography teacher actually wants them to play around with photoshop a little. I remember we had to create an album cover from a photo for a CD in photography class and we used photoshop. Didnt make me any worse of a photographer...

shows that even the learned can be close minded. If he has ever dodged/burned a picture, changed color saturation, contrast, levels, ect. he has changed the image from its original, but yet he still accepts it.

HDR is just a new tool that is making its way to the scene. Anyone that truely believes HDR images make an image "fake" or unacceptable really needs to sit back and view their editing choices. You can't decide one form of editing is fake but one isn't. It's not like you're adding elements that werent in the scene, you're simply displaying more than your camera could capture in a single shot.

Then again I like the hyper-realistic shots that HDR tends to produce.

thats pretty much my view, although it makes it look cg it looks like what you truly see with your eyes.

Odd. If his problem with HDR was that it's over/mis-used, I might understand... but just because it's produced using more than one image?

thats pretty much my view, although it makes it look cg it looks like what you truly see with your eyes.

and not all HDR looks computer generated. In fact I believe shorty did some great interior HDR images with properly lit windows that looks downright real.

Odd. If his problem with HDR was that it's over/mis-used, I might understand... but just because it's produced using more than one image?
If that's his problem, he must not like panorama's either..

Any teacher worth the money should tell you that it is the end result rather than any specific technique (or lack of technique) that is important. If it's not to his taste he should say that, but that doesn't mean it is a poor way to create an image.

I have seen HDR images that look somewhat surrealistic. While I recognize the photographer's right to do that, I tend not to favor them. However, I have seen many HDR images that are very, very nice.

God created man's eyes with the ability to make nearly instantaneous changes as we look at a landscape that has varying degrees of lighting. Man was not able to make a camera work quite as well. HDR imaging is an attempt to allow us to view a photograph a little more like we would see it in real life. It is not a lot different than using a neutral density filter.

Just my thoughts.

Have a good day.

nah, yall are wrong

that professor just hasn't seen much of nice HDR images, he prolly seen only one, especially around here and there, that's all. he just THINKS it's ****, especially it's just his opinion, lol

Oh yeah, and he's just jealous cuz they look good

Can't deny the truth!

well i seem to have scored a victory today, i convinced him to let me do my final in hdr, im probably going to need alot of help so err maybe look for the picture later :D

Most reactions

Back