High/Low Key, Second Attempt.

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, maybe not the best subject for the low key shot, since the petals are translucent. :grumpy: I did do some burning to help it out.

3643520343_c0019cea40_o.jpg

For the high key shot, I did use some (on board) flash, diffused with a paper towel.
I also lit the background with an LED flash light.

3644326944_a25f142477_o.jpg

Do these work? I am trying to come up with some more subject matter to shoot, and thinking about going to buy a flash. :meh:

1. Definitely works for low-key, and the bright petals in the back add contrast. Pretty powerful image of something so simple. Good composition never hurts either.

2. I took a super-quick glance at this one, and it almost looked like a negative of the first (okay, maybe not so much). I know that typically the result of a high key is sort of a light-hearted, happy pic. Personally, anything that goes against what is 'suppose to be' tends to be more striking to me.

Thanks for showing as always :thumbup:

:D

Happy and light-hearted is boring. That's why I chose the dying Orchid for this experiment. I figured it would be good for the low key, and even better for contrasting the high key mood.

Thanks for the comments.

Hmm...after stepping away, and coming back, I see I could have aimed the background light a little higher to hit behind the dark part of the flower, which would have also brought a little more darkness to the background area of the lightest part of the flower.

[edit] Ok, I tried it. I dunno if it helps much.

3643659605_cef00c3cb9_o.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice. They both do a good job representing hi/low key shots. My only gripe would be that they are composed the same, but they are very good shots! Nice work as usual!

I eliminated composition as a variable in favor of technique. I wanted to see if the same image worked both ways, or, which would be better. This was also the first time I placed backgrounds and played with lighting. If I used different compositions, the viewer could be swayed one way or another by that alone.

I never thought of doing a high key & low key shot of the same subject in the same composition. Cool idea.

I like the low key one more.

Hmmm...everyone seems to favor the low key one. I thought the opposite would be true.

I tried 2 more and I like these in color. (these are not the shots used to make the first 2)

Pass? Fail?

Low
3647758467_e1d9098344.jpg

High
3647758627_d34072ab6c.jpg

Love this second set!! The color is beautiful. Very natural and peaceful. I want those colors in my bedroom and these pictures would look lovely on the wall.

Most reactions

Back