High Resolution Video Recording on DigitalCam

Saeid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey there,
My question for today is, how can digital camera's take pictures upto 6.0 megapixels and has really fast processing times, which could only mean fast CPU's... and yet only record video in 640x480 with low frame rates?

The same applies to the latest Nokia 6630 phone, it has a 1.3 megapixel camera, with a 220Mhz CPU, and can only record video's at 176x144 at 15fps upto 1 hour.

I mean the if the CPU's can handle those high resolution images, im sure it can also handle recording higher resolution and higher frame rates....

I believe the reason is that it takes a lot more computing power to record video than still images. Digital video is basically a continuous series of still photos. Even the high end $8000 digital cameras can only record so many photos, buffer then and write them to the storage media. So, a digicam is not going to be able to record and save info fast enough, for long enough to make videos.

The lower the resolution, the faster it can be recorded & saved. So that's why digicams & phones are set with such crappy resolution.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back