High School Basketball

emptypockets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These shots were taken just a few days after I got my new Panasonic FZ-18. All are shot on manual with ISO 400 max. Given that the camera isn't known as being the best at indoor sports shots, I think it did pretty well. I was taking them for a friend, who's daughter plays on the team. Let me know what you think.

statebball2_filtered.jpg

statebball5_filtered.jpg

statebball13_filtered.jpg

statebball8_filtered.jpg

statebball23_filtered.jpg

Overall, they are pretty good.

But the faked blur isn't fooling anyone.

Indeed, your fake blur is overdone and its too sloppy.

Besides that though I do think they are pretty good.

In which pic speficically do you think the blur is too overdone? Number 5? These were done just after I bought the camera and PS Elements 6, and I've done better work since. Thanks for the nice comments!

It's not so much that it's over done...but the edges aren't accurate and there are spots missing. Look between the girl's legs and by her elbow in the last one.

Also, the out of focus areas caused by a shallow depth of field are not uniform. It differs, depending on the distance away from the focus point and on the DOF (which is a result of the aperture of the lens, the focal length and the size of the sensor/film. So in your 2nd shot, the net and the player behind them, should be less out of focus than the cheer leaders and the people in the stands. Well, it doesn't have to be that way...but that's how it looks when done with lenses rather than photoshop...so it looks more natural. But for starters, if you are going to do this type of thing...get in close and go around your subject with more care and attention.

I see what you mean about the blur Mike. Thanks again for your insight.

Good work, just an idea but if you are looking to separate the players from the background how about a little de-saturation of the background not necessarily all the way to monchrome but just to make the player stand out.

Overall, they are pretty good.

But the faked blur isn't fooling anyone.

Fooled me until you said that. I was thinking, how did he get that bokeh with that camera, haha.

I appologize that I don't have a $2-3,000 budget for an SLR camera, lenses and gear, sir. Despite my poor PS job, (these are my very first attempts) I would say at $325, the Panasonic FZ-18 takes excellent pictures. In fact, except for low light situations, like indoor sports, some of the shots I'm able to capture would come very close to the IQ of entry level SLR's.

Take a closer look at the above shots, with the exception of the blurred ones. Not too bad for my first shots ever taken with the camera. Not too bad IQ for a $325 piece of equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back