high speed trigger

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
I want to do some high speed photography so I'm going to need some type of trigger to fire the flash (which I'll have to buy I suspect), the camera and the event at the same time. I've no idea how to go about it. Perhaps something that would work by sound? Say I smashed a glass and I wanted it to record the second in starts to crack. Is there any way to make my own trigger?

The only camera that I've got to work with is my Dynax 5. It's the only camera I have that uses an electronic shutter release. I made my own one so that side of things is ok. But getting it all to work on a sound is where I'm going to struggle. I have no knowledge of things like that.

I think the way they do it is to leave the shutter open (bulb mode or long shutter time) in a dark studio and use a trigger (sound probably) to trigger a flash. Since the flash duration is so fast, that's the high speed.

So you would have to make a sound trigger for the flash. I read a tutorial somewhere but I'm not to electrically inclined so I didn't absorb any of the info. Should be easy to search for though.

I've been searching for ages. :mrgreen: I'm normally good with search engines. :(
I did think of leaving the shutter open, it never occurred to me to set the trigger to the flash only. :oops:
That's let me use the digital and the old manual cameras then.

I think it would be very hard to do it just with the shutter speed alone...image how much light you would need if the shutter was set at 1/8000.

I remember looking at a site that specialized in high speed photography. Stuff like bullets going through playing cards and fruit. Very cool stuff.

:edit:

That looks like a good web site to get you started. Good luck with it. Let us in on your progress.

I'm trying to find a place which sells a silicon-controlled rectifier. I can't. :scratch:
I bet there bloddy expensive. :mrgreen:

SCR's & Triacs are fairly cheap nowadays depending on the voltage and current rating you need.
Check out your local electrical hobbyist place or look on-line or send me a PM if you get stuck.

have u found the circuit u need?
I have a link for a sound trigger, but it is in Portuguese.
and Big Mike is right, u ave to be in a dark room with the shutter open, and use something to trigger the flash.

So what sort of price are they? I can't even find a picture. The only thing I can find is a hand held thingy that costs £100. I don't even know if it's what I'm after. This is just something I'm looking into. If it can be done on the cheap so that it doesn't matter if it doesn't work then I'll give it a go. If it's expensive to the point where I'd want to get it perfect I won't. If that makes sense.

They're not tiny little things that cost £2.50 are they? :( :mrgreen:

Thanks. It's from the same site I posted. :mrgreen:

I didn't notice the section you posted though. :)

I never realized how great that Vivitar flash was till I saw the site. I played with mine for a bit but never built any triggers. I like the sensor plug at the front of the flash it makes access to speed and duration easy and fun to use.

There was an EXCELLENT site on using lasers, if my memory serves me correct. A bullet would pass the laser, trigger the flash, and capture an apple or what not biting the bullet (har har pun intended). Some really neat shots, if I find it I'll pass it along. Might not be what you are looking for, but it's damn cool anyway.

ferny said:
I want to do some high speed photography so I'm going to need some type of trigger to fire the flash (which I'll have to buy I suspect),

Those physics text book shots of the apple/bullet are usually done with a high-speed camcorder, as nobody has the reactions or timing to get the best shots with an SLR - even the curtain is going to be slow compared to that.

The second curtain flash technique probably will be more difficult with a digital camera, but good luck with it! I'd be really interested to see your results. You could try practising your technique with the cliched dripping tap splash image.

Get yourself a lot of cheap glasses / props, and be careful not to get a horrific injury from broken glass in the dark!!!

Did you check out that site? They show you how to hook up and build high speed triggers so you can do the drip n apple tricks using ordinary equipment. There are several triggers you can build if you just read all the sections. Each one has a different trigger project.

http://hiviz.com/tools/triggers/triggers2.htm

Most reactions

Back