Hight iso comparrison Wanted. 30D v. 40D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RyanLilly, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know that more than a few people here have both the 30D and 40D, and would like some input on how the high ISO performance compares. I was set to buy the 40D, but with the depressed housing market I was thinking about conserving some cash for a down payment, on some property, then I saw a 30D refurb on Adorama, for $650, So... One main feature of the 40D that I was in need of is the Good quality at High ISO, but for half the price a 30D just might be in my future if the ISO quality compares well. Can anyone post some 1600 and 3200 iso shots for comparison?

Thanks very much.
    -Ryan

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HERE
    I found someone doing a comparison between the 20D and 40D...(30D has exactly the same sensor as the 20D)

3. RyanLilly

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, thanks mike. The noise looks similar, but color and contrast were different; interesting. Now that I think about it, $600, difference in the price of a body may not be that big of a difference to me when I still intend to spend about 3K in glass, but the little bits do add up. Still $650 for a refurb 30D seem like a good deal when thats less than the local stores charge for a 20D. And a 20D goes for about $500-600, used on craigslist. Not having the money to buy this stuff has been killing me! I want it! Well thanks. I guess for now I'm all talk and no cash.
    -Ryan

4. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am willing to bet that the color and contrast differences were just because of different settings in the camera, like the 40D being set to +1 sharpness and +1 saturation and +1 contrast. The 20D and 30D have parameter settings and the 40D has Canon's new "picture styles" that are more confusing and I bet the comparer didn't know how to set the cameras to be the same.

5. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've gotta tell you something...

I have the 40D. About a week ago, I purchased the 20D used on Craigslist. $675 for the 20D, a Canon BG-E2 grip, and a Speedlite 420EX.

Anyway... if I had used a 20D before, I would never have bought the 40D, and would have saved for the 5D. The upgrades to the 40D are nice, but not necessary to take decent shots.

6. RyanLilly

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Keith, maybe I pick up a 20D or 30D, and patiently wait for the 5D upgrade that everyone has been talking about for years. Hell I saw a 20D with grip and 2batteries for $500 a few weeks ago.

Hey Keith were piratically neighbors, I'm over here in St.Louis.I think that there was a promoter who was organizing UFC cage fights here a couple of years back, but I think he ran into some shady legal issues, I don't know if anyone has picked up that market again but you should keep you ears open, just in case.

7. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Another about the high-iso comparison between the 20/30D and 40D. The whitepapers for the 40D seem to say that the ISO noise should be about the same. The 40D has a better noise handling system, to compensate for the smaller, tighter pixels due to 10.1 megapixel.

(quote taken from the 40D whitepapers by Canon)

I must note... I don't just read the white papers for fun... came across it in another topic. :)

8. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh don't EVEN go quoting a white paper and try to deny it you don't like to read them... you LOVE em, you read em before bedtime, c'mon now man, admit it ;)

9. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ROFL!!