Hight iso comparrison Wanted. 30D v. 40D

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that more than a few people here have both the 30D and 40D, and would like some input on how the high ISO performance compares. I was set to buy the 40D, but with the depressed housing market I was thinking about conserving some cash for a down payment, on some property, then I saw a 30D refurb on Adorama, for $650, So... One main feature of the 40D that I was in need of is the Good quality at High ISO, but for half the price a 30D just might be in my future if the ISO quality compares well. Can anyone post some 1600 and 3200 iso shots for comparison?

Thanks very much.
-Ryan

HERE
I found someone doing a comparison between the 20D and 40D...(30D has exactly the same sensor as the 20D)

Hey, thanks mike. The noise looks similar, but color and contrast were different; interesting. Now that I think about it, $600, difference in the price of a body may not be that big of a difference to me when I still intend to spend about 3K in glass, but the little bits do add up. Still $650 for a refurb 30D seem like a good deal when thats less than the local stores charge for a 20D. And a 20D goes for about $500-600, used on craigslist. Not having the money to buy this stuff has been killing me! I want it! Well thanks. I guess for now I'm all talk and no cash.
-Ryan

I am willing to bet that the color and contrast differences were just because of different settings in the camera, like the 40D being set to +1 sharpness and +1 saturation and +1 contrast. The 20D and 30D have parameter settings and the 40D has Canon's new "picture styles" that are more confusing and I bet the comparer didn't know how to set the cameras to be the same.

I've gotta tell you something...

I have the 40D. About a week ago, I purchased the 20D used on Craigslist. $675 for the 20D, a Canon BG-E2 grip, and a Speedlite 420EX.

Anyway... if I had used a 20D before, I would never have bought the 40D, and would have saved for the 5D. The upgrades to the 40D are nice, but not necessary to take decent shots.

Thanks Keith, maybe I pick up a 20D or 30D, and patiently wait for the 5D upgrade that everyone has been talking about for years. Hell I saw a 20D with grip and 2batteries for $500 a few weeks ago.

Hey Keith were piratically neighbors, I'm over here in St.Louis.I think that there was a promoter who was organizing UFC cage fights here a couple of years back, but I think he ran into some shady legal issues, I don't know if anyone has picked up that market again but you should keep you ears open, just in case.

Another about the high-iso comparison between the 20/30D and 40D. The whitepapers for the 40D seem to say that the ISO noise should be about the same. The 40D has a better noise handling system, to compensate for the smaller, tighter pixels due to 10.1 megapixel.

...new processes were incorporated
in the CMOS semiconductor fabrication and microlens-forming process. By improving light-collecting efficiency, the same ISO range and low noise (S/N ratio) as that of the EOS 30D were attained even though the pixels on the 30D are larger.
(quote taken from the 40D whitepapers by Canon)

I must note... I don't just read the white papers for fun... came across it in another topic. :)

I must note... I don't just read the white papers for fun...

Oh don't EVEN go quoting a white paper and try to deny it you don't like to read them... you LOVE em, you read em before bedtime, c'mon now man, admit it ;)

Most reactions

Back