histogram

Fisheye83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so i dont know if this is a beginers question or what but when i take pictures on my dslr it shows me the histogram which begs the question whats it for and is there something i should be looking at to use it properly?

well, you would like to see a nice bell curve or normal distribution which would suggest that your exposure is spot on and balanced. The dark areas/shadows are located on the left, the highlights are on the right and the rest in the mid range.

The histogram tells you something about the picture you just took. It could tell you that the picture is underexposed when the light is shining on your LCD and you can't see it properly. It'll tell you if you clip highlights and shadows.

Have a read of this short article with a lot of photographic examples: Understanding Histograms

Very good links posted above, and I'll also add this video that does a good job of explaining them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as long as you don't have big spikes on the far left or far right, you'll be right. The rest can come later.

Really? I would say high key and low key shots are all about having big spikes far left and right.

The one thing that a lot of people don't mention when talking about histograms is that they do not necessarily indicate that anything is right or wrong, they just show what is.

Spikes are OK...what you usually want to avoid is clipping, where the graph looks like it's been cut off by the edge of the screen. That probably means that you have details that are completely black or completely white...with little or no chance of recovering any data from those areas of the image.

When I spoke of big spikes at either end, I was referring to clipping. High key and low key photos can be done in camera, but when overexposing in the camera, there's a much greater risk of blowing out the highlights, especially with beginners. In my experience, it's better to do that in post, where you have much greater control over the highlights and exposure.

A good basic rule of thumb would be to expose the image so that it is as far right (light) as possible without clipping. Lightroom/photoshop etc. can change the exposure, if you are shooting raw, to the desired setting. You can do this if the histogram is to the far left but will generally cause a good amount of noise in the photograph. Rembmer some scenes such as sun set etc will have information blown out as that is the nature of the scene. However the majority of the information should not be. Just a basic rule (yes it can be broken with good effect) to work off of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back