homeless guy

proberok

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
$IMG_9545.jpg

Not sure about the composition. It's too centered, lacks focus because it seems that you were being greedy in trying to fit the whole person into the frame. There's camera shake as well to that spoils the photo a bit. I do like the processing. The contrast is just right and I guess the camera shake gives the photograph a softer feel, like film. I'm also glad that you tried to take the shot at a lower angle as opposed to "standing top-down".

For me, if I have the choice for a different composition and if the environment permits, I will try to take this shot from top down, as in shoot from above(may be a floor up looking down) and do a zoom in on the person's head/face with his the bottle in the shot, and the stair steps as the background(which will appear flat instead). I think that will tell a stronger story.

How could you be that much comfortable approaching him this close and taking this kind picture?

sorry, but I don't like it. You could chose a different composition and portray what ever you wanted to portray in much prettier way

jmo

Ethics - as others kept banging on at me for in my thread last month. Where are they? What is in this shot?

I hope you left some change or a cup of coffee :p

So, here's the deal. I see the potential here, but this is a harsh forum. I think I can see where you were going with the composition, looks like his face is roughly around the top left power intersection of the rule of thirds. And I can see how you didn't want to crop it. The contrast between the suit jacket and the athletic shoes needs to be seen. The more I look at it, the more I like it. But I can understand why others don't. It didn't quite hit on composition, but I am not sure how you could have done it better. And it is a bit soft, or out of focus.

Good work. Despite everything it is still a good work. Is it shocking ? Yes. That's the purpose. It is a reminder that our own society is not perfect. Or even worst. Technicality of this picture, maybe with slight problems but it doesn't destroy the message of the image.

I guess I'm just at a loss for what "story" or "message" is supposedly being conveyed. Maybe you could help me out - what is it you were trying to say with this and what is the ultimate goal you wish to accomplish by portraying it?

If this was your father, how would you feel about someone taking and showing this picture on the Internet?

When I see photos like this, I wonder if the photographer would approach a non homeless (relatively affluent) person in the same manner and take a shot. Or someone else's kids even.
If so, then fine - that's how you shoot. If not, then why are you comfortable shooting a helpless person and not a non helpless one?

To me, that's the question one must ask oneself. It's not for me to judge the OP. The OP must look in the mirror.

As for the photo - not much here. The shot makes me feel uncomfortable, but for the wrong reasons.
That level of discomfort is trying (and failing) to overcome several technical and compositional flaws in photo that could have been much more as tirediron stated above.

why are you comfortable shooting a helpless person and not a non helpless one?

To me, that's the question one must ask oneself. It's not for me to judge the OP. The OP must look in the mirror.

I'm not as nice as you.
I am comfortable judging the photographer as he seems to be taking pictures of the helpless.

When I see photos like this, I wonder if the photographer would approach a non homeless (relatively affluent) person in the same manner and take a shot. Or someone else's kids even.
If so, then fine - that's how you shoot. If not, then why are you comfortable shooting a helpless person and not a non helpless one?

To me, that's the question one must ask oneself. It's not for me to judge the OP. The OP must look in the mirror........

This is a load of crap. He's not helpless. He's homeless. His legs look to be in one piece. Teach him the phrase "do you want fries with that?" And get your life together. I do not feel sorry for anyone that wants everything handed to them on a silver plater.

Now if there's another story here other than he's a bum, then I'll take that into consideration.

But to assume he's helpless is crap and to say the "OP must look in the mirror" as if there should be some disgust is ignorant. Just my opinion though.

Homeless doesn't equal helpless.

OP did what a photographer is suppose to do, he created a photo that sparks emotion and interest and got a reaction.

That's what we as photographers are suppose to do. If you look at a photo and it has no feelings to it then we failed at our job.

OP, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The initial question wasn't answered.

If this was your father, how would you feel about someone taking his picture and exhibiting it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back