Homeless & hot

I like BW, there are no colors really, black and white gives some journalistic/candid/historical feeling but would expose his face better

^^^She's been feisty lately...I like it.
Agreed.

The composition is a little odd. Partly due to the angle and the dead space below his legs. It also puts his legs at the very top of the frame, which is a little weird. Also the light variance is pretty extreme which muddies the image and makes it a little hard to see what we're looking at. His hair pretty much disappears into the shadows also connected to the bag.

All that said, and I say this all the time... taking pictures of homeless people (or any sort of person who is on the street when they would likely prefer not to be) is, in my opinion, shooting fish in a barrel at best... and exploitative at worst.

Do I think you are exploiting this person? No. You always seem like a nice guy and I think you're just shooting an interesting subject. However, if I was a homeless person, probably the LAST thing I'd want is someone taking my pain and turning into their artwork. The idea of a picture of me- at my worst- hanging on someone else's wall- for their pleasure- makes me shudder. I don't think I'd be alone in this.

Many photographers will say that they are taking these pictures to document life. To bring to the forefront the problem of homelessness and the tragedy of same. However, this isn't Bosnia or some other faraway place that most people never see. Homelessness is rampant in even our most wealthy metropolises... we have all encountered homeless people. We have all asked the questions "Why?" We have all thought about what it would be like if we were in that situation. We have all been duly horrified. What I'm saying is... the world gets it. I don't think you need to add to the stockpile of images documenting it. You're not adding anything new to the discussion.

I mean no offense in these comments. I state them only to point out something that I think many of us do not consider, and I think we all should.

In the end, each of us has to face each of these situations and make a decision if THIS person... if THIS situation... is worthy enough of capture that it outweighs the potential exploitation concerns. It is subjective, and not all will agree with your choice, but in the end it is your choice.

^^^She's been feisty lately...I like it.
what's going on with you people!? you keep telling me all these "nice" and "new to me" English words lately... What kind of dictionary I should buy!? ;)

Awesome - thanks for the comments. I love this type of feedback - basically, I am not a people person - and this shot was more of a passing shot as I rushed by - hence no composition or real care etc - however, I personally liked it enough to keep it - my only curiosity was color vs black/white as I am colorblind and, well, am not good at these judgement calls.
As for the issue of exploiting - no, I don't think I am, nor do I worry about that type of thing.

On with the day! :D

Awesome - thanks for the comments. I love this type of feedback - basically, I am not a people person - and this shot was more of a passing shot as I rushed by - hence no composition or real care etc - however, I personally liked it enough to keep it - my only curiosity was color vs black/white as I am colorblind and, well, am not good at these judgement calls.
As for the issue of exploiting - no, I don't think I am, nor do I worry about that type of thing.

Example 1)
Let's say that you were leaving a theater and, inadvertently, you kicked someone in their shins.
When that person says 'ouch', is it up to you to say that the kick didn't hurt enough to warrant the 'ow.'

Example 2)
You are sitting at a wedding reception taking casual shots and your beloved, hefty niece falls on the dance floor revealing that she is barely wearing thong underwear
Her entire but is exposed to the crowd and to your camera.
Would you take a picture and post that on the Internet?

You aren't the best person to judge whether your actions were exploitation.
You have to accept that not everyone wants their state to be exposed to the world - the homeless are particularly vulnerable because they really don't have any place to hide.
If that homeless person were your father, brother, son, nephew, I would hope that you would be compassionate enough about them to respect their privacy and not expose their situation any more.

You certainly aren't telling or showing us anything either new, interesting or educational; certainly nothing that would justify violating what little privacy this person has.

I believe that I am 100% the right person to judge.

I passed a road accident this morning and there was blood everywhere and I could see the poor guy who was being treated - but did I take a photo, no.
I used MY judgement as to what was right or wrong in that situation - as I did as I hurriedly walked past this homeless guy sprawled out on the sidewalk in the middle of a bridge.

The photo was never intended to show you anything new or exciting, interesting nor educational - where did I state it was? I merely asked black and white or color.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back