Homeless

ThornleyGroves

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bournemouth, Manchester, Athens, Liverpool
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently had a university documentary assignment given to me. So i thought of what i could document, in the end i came up with Homeless People. I took all these with my Nikon D800 and my 50mm f1.4. These are some of my favourites i came out with;

For those interested here's a link for the whole set including photos i've not posted here; http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151514925074468.545559.345421469467&type=1

Any comments and critique i'd be extremely grateful,

Tom

Last edited:
I'm surprised they let you. I did a documentary assignment like that and the homeless in this area aren't too keen to being photographed. I found it incredibly difficult.

Neat faces though. My favorite is probably number 5, although I'm not a big fan of the processing. It's kind of Dragan-esque, but the highlights seem to be too bright and kind of muddy. It almost looks like you intentionally tried to make them look gritty.

I'm surprised they let you. I did a documentary assignment like that and the homeless in this area aren't too keen to being photographed. I found it incredibly difficult.

Neat faces though. My favorite is probably number 5, although I'm not a big fan of the processing. It's kind of Dragan-esque, but the highlights seem to be too bright and kind of muddy. It almost looks like you intentionally tried to make them look gritty.

thanks mate! well yeah i did intentionally try and make them look more gritty! I feel the general public have more of a wow factor when they see them! Also it is really hard photographing them and i got told no so many times, however a 1 pound coin and a sausage roll and they normally let me have a quick shot. It's tough though and you never know what to expect!!

Well, yes you can tell the "gritty" factor was turned up in post. That is not a bad thing, if anywhere fits that type of processing, I guess it would be this. I would like 1 and 2 more if their noses were in focus too. For some reason it looks weird with their noses out of focus.

With that being said, I still like 1 and 2 the best.

Looks like a little bit of perspective distortion too... like WA's are famous for? Was that intentional?

I agree number 1+2 are the best. Number 1 def. tells a sad story.

I think this is a great set, I really enjoyed it. I don't like the heavy vignetting, but that's just a personal preference.

You might want to check out Lee Jeffries' Flickr page for some extra inspiration. He only photographs homeless people and he does it with the utmost respect: Flickr: LJ.'s Photostream. Another great photographer of homeless people is Tom Stone: Flickr: stoneth's Photostream

Looks like a little bit of perspective distortion too... like WA's are famous for? Was that intentional?

i wouldn't say i set out there to do it, but after taking my first few shots, i started to stick with the same theme. I think shooting 1.4 on a 50mm so close up just produces the distortion naturally a bit too. I think it adds to the photos personally though. i set out there wanting to get some really gritty not pleasant photos that would tell a story, and i think it's worked!

I think this is a great set, I really enjoyed it. I don't like the heavy vignetting, but that's just a personal preference.

You might want to check out Lee Jeffries' Flickr page for some extra inspiration. He only photographs homeless people and he does it with the utmost respect: Flickr: LJ.'s Photostream. Another great photographer of homeless people is Tom Stone: Flickr: stoneth's Photostream

Thanks a lot, i appreciate it. Yeah i actually spoke to Lee about doing these before hand and got some tips, he really was my inspiration for them. I just wish i could save up and get down to skid row and try get some on his level!! I'll check out Tom Stone too, thanks!

Nice detail in the shots but I wish they all didn't fall so in the center. I know negative space is generally unwanted but a few shots stopped down and maybe a view behind to add more context.

Also I find the vignette a bit distracting. Too obvious. Maybe back it off a bit and feather? Overall I like them.

These are technically decent shots, with a distinctive style and a specific subject matter, and they carry some of the emotional weight of that subject matter. I don't think anyone could as for anything more in a documentary project. They hit the assigned target just fine.

There are pretty serious ethical and artistic issues with photographing the homeless, and more generally the oppressed and disadvantaged.

Ethically it's pretty much impossible to do it without being essentially being complicit in their situation. Sure, you didn't make 'em poor and sick, and you even helped out with a bit of food and cash. Good onya. Nonetheless, you are converting their suffering into a grade on a project, and ultimately into part of a degree, which degree will presumably give you advantages in life. No amount of exchanged money or other atonement is going to change that fact. Now, we all oppress one another all the time, so it ain't just you, and you're not a bad person for it. But the issue's there.

The artistic problem is that everyone does this and nothing changes. We have far more pictures of homeless people rattling around out there, making whatever artistic and social statements they make, than we do actual homeless people. Ultimately these pictures don't have any impact any more except to make the viewer say "oh how sad" and -- maybe -- donate a little something to the food bank this year. Art doesn't have to drive social change, but this kind of art is frequently justified as an attempt to drive social change. Often enough that even if you haven't the slightest intention of driving social change, your photographs will tend to be interpreted as an attempt to drive change, an attempt that won't work. Pictures of the sad and ruined faces of the homeless are, whether we like it or not, all citations of one another. They smash together into one giant ethically problematic useless ball of sameness.

All that said, the photos are fine, they do what you were asked to do and they do it well. They just happen to exist in a sort of sticky corner of the world of photography.

Nice detail in the shots but I wish they all didn't fall so in the center. I know negative space is generally unwanted but a few shots stopped down and maybe a view behind to add more context.

Also I find the vignette a bit distracting. Too obvious. Maybe back it off a bit and feather? Overall I like them.

Yeah i'm starting to agree with people on the Vignetting. It's one of those things you realise once you've posted them, and it's the type of feedback that improves an aspiring photographer like myself!

These are technically decent shots, with a distinctive style and a specific subject matter, and they carry some of the emotional weight of that subject matter. I don't think anyone could as for anything more in a documentary project. They hit the assigned target just fine.

There are pretty serious ethical and artistic issues with photographing the homeless, and more generally the oppressed and disadvantaged.

Ethically it's pretty much impossible to do it without being essentially being complicit in their situation. Sure, you didn't make 'em poor and sick, and you even helped out with a bit of food and cash. Good onya. Nonetheless, you are converting their suffering into a grade on a project, and ultimately into part of a degree, which degree will presumably give you advantages in life. No amount of exchanged money or other atonement is going to change that fact. Now, we all oppress one another all the time, so it ain't just you, and you're not a bad person for it. But the issue's there.

The artistic problem is that everyone does this and nothing changes. We have far more pictures of homeless people rattling around out there, making whatever artistic and social statements they make, than we do actual homeless people. Ultimately these pictures don't have any impact any more except to make the viewer say "oh how sad" and -- maybe -- donate a little something to the food bank this year. Art doesn't have to drive social change, but this kind of art is frequently justified as an attempt to drive social change. Often enough that even if you haven't the slightest intention of driving social change, your photographs will tend to be interpreted as an attempt to drive change, an attempt that won't work. Pictures of the sad and ruined faces of the homeless are, whether we like it or not, all citations of one another. They smash together into one giant ethically problematic useless ball of sameness.

All that said, the photos are fine, they do what you were asked to do and they do it well. They just happen to exist in a sort of sticky corner of the world of photography.

I agree with you on the ethical issues. However i see most of these people around the city centre regularly, and a lot of people just ignore them and don't give them the time of day. What i got most out of this project, regardless of the final images, is the story each one had. More often than not each and everyone of them just appreciated my time sitting down and having a chat, plus they did get some food and a little bit of cash to help them along their way. But these are the ethical problems and artistic issues i have included in depth in my write up for the assignment!

Thanks for the input!

I enjoyed this set. #1 is very, very powerful. Good job. Processing is almost a little too much for my taste but that is personal opinion and taste.

i wouldn't say i set out there to do it, but after taking my first few shots, i started to stick with the same theme. I think shooting 1.4 on a 50mm so close up just produces the distortion naturally a bit too. I think it adds to the photos personally though. i set out there wanting to get some really gritty not pleasant photos that would tell a story, and i think it's worked!

In your original post.. you stated you used a 14-24.... but you have since edited it. And there is no exif in the photos.... so why the change?

I can certainly see how you'd feel that way, and I somewhat feel the same, but I guess I always feel like what will remind people that these dark crevices in society still exist is a good thing. There's nothing censored about these pictures, and it's a good reminder to us all that we are ignoring a sizeable portion of people.. anything that humanizes the homeless, I'm all for.

Most reactions

Back