homemade diffusion screen

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
anyone got any ideas for making a screen with common, inexpensive material? i'm going to need it for an outdoor full body length portrait session. i'm shooting both digital and film. i'm going to want to keep my stop loss to less than 1.5 if possible, but i want the light to be as soft as possible.
any thoughts?

Some thin white nylon should work. Like the material used for umbrellas. Then use some PVC pipe to make the frame for it.

That reminds me, I need to make some of these myself.

i think the nylon might work better than a sheet, i would think you'd lose at least a couple stops with fabric that dense, no?

i think the pvc idea is excellent, too. i'm gonna try that- with velcro i could try both fabrics interchangeably, too... hmmmm....
thanks guys.

A cool thing you can do with the PVC is cut small sections (maybe 5") and then cut a strip out of it. That will basically give you a clip. IF you need a reference graphic i can sketch it out when I get home.... in 30 minutes.

You might find something more sheer even than the nylon at a fabric shop. I have seen material that you'd probably need 2-3 thicknesses to get good diffusion. A lot of the time, those things are fairly cheap, too.

After you finish being the guinea pig on this, I'd love to find out what worked the best! :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back