sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really working on improving these birding skills--unfortunately, work and the weather have kept me from being able to be on TPF as much as usual and from being out stalking birds as much as I'd like. But last weekend, I finally found a really good place, just about 5 miles down the road I live on, and so I've been spending what little spare time I can down there, working on my skills.

I ended up surprising this eagle in its nest, and got the best pictures I've managed so far, in my own opinion, of course! Still not what some of you produce, but they are definitely MY best effort to date!
(P.S. I wrote a whole blog entry about it, if you just happen to enjoy reading long rambling drivel along with your photo viewing, you can click the link in my sig).

These are the three I like the best, plus one I have a question about:

Jan_21_2013 (467)editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

Jan_21_2013 (468)editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

Jan_21_2013 (475)editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

4. On this one, I assume the weird shadow on its nape is from the wing feathers? Should I attempt to clone it out (I'm not very good at that!) or just leave it alone?

Jan_21_2013 (482)editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

Great shots, Sharon! They look pretty darn sharp! If you could lower highlights you might be able to get more definition in the heads, and if you can lift shadows a little you might be able to get more detail in the wings. They are so difficult to get exposed correctly! You did a great job catching them! I'm very excited for you and wish I could find more eagles!

Beautiful. Can't help with the shadow 'cause I still suck at photoshop. I really don't think it's that harmful any how.

These are great!

A-MAZING! 2,3&4 are really good. My personal favourite is number 2!

Thanks, all--I was pretty stoked about getting these. Now I'm looking to get them perched, or landing in the tree they like to perch in...it's just NEVER "enough" is it?? We ALWAYS want the "even better" shot! :D

Great shots, Sharon! They look pretty darn sharp! If you could lower highlights you might be able to get more definition in the heads, and if you can lift shadows a little you might be able to get more detail in the wings. They are so difficult to get exposed correctly! You did a great job catching them! I'm very excited for you and wish I could find more eagles!

Thanks, coastal! I didn't mess with the highlights or shadows sliders at all, so I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Great - loving #3 and #4.

Very, very nice! I'm jealous. The only Eagles I've ever seen in the wild were at Ft. Donelson, and I only saw them once.

BTW, I'm thinking about going to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge sometime next month because they supposedly have a huge population of Sandhill Cranes. Want to go?

Very, very nice! I'm jealous. The only Eagles I've ever seen in the wild were at Ft. Donelson, and I only saw them once.

BTW, I'm thinking about going to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge sometime next month because they supposedly have a huge population of Sandhill Cranes. Want to go?

It's funny, the first one I ever saw in the wild was just a couple of months ago, at a nearby wildlife refuge area. That's the photo that got published in our local paper (which of course, now I'm wishing hadn't happened--I'd rather have them print of THESE!). Several friends saw that photo and asked if it was the one that hung out down the road from me, which was the first I'd ever HEARD of an eagle near me. I'm pretty stoked about the opportunity to spend some mornings and/or afternoons in this spot--even when I don't get any good pictures (like yesterday, when I took my sister with me), they are still just awesome to watch. Oh, and I *think* I also saw a peregrine there, so I'm stalking it too, now!

I almost went down to Hiwassee last weekend for the Sandhill Crane "festival"--I'll PM you.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! What lens did you use?

These are really terrific!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back