gpardo64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Horse Playing

This week Bitter school class is doing triptychs. The main objective is tell you a story in three parts using 3 shots.

The shots were done late in the afternoon, so I like the mood given by the late sunlight. The shot in the center I think is the most interesting shot, I was trying to do panning in order to provide action and speed.

Settings

D5000 all hand held.
Center Shot: 55-200, 1/30, f/22, ISO 100.
Left Shot: 55-200, 1/500, f/11, ISO 250.
Right Shot: 55-200, 1/180, f/11, ISO 100.

4451074682_aa80ce192b_b.jpg

Your feedback would be appreciated!. Do you think the panning was right?. Did you get the story?. Thx!.

Last edited:
I like this one. :)

It flows nicely, and the panning looks good.

A western saddle? Come on, show some class;)

This looks good though. They all flow well like said above and tell the story well. The only thing I don't like is the crooked garage door in the first.

I think I get the story you're trying to tell. The relationship we heartedly develop with our domesticated animals. I can easily relate to that. However, I have a few comments that you can toss aside.

Overall presentation is okay as a pano, but have you considered having them cropped to the same size and stacking into a portrait orientation? But here's my nits......

#1 - (The warmup, walk to trail head) The door of the building is obviously crooked and throws off the whole comp. Also, WHY? Surely there is a better background around the stables and the metal building is just plain ugly.

#2 - (The ride) Your paning is pretty good, I do like the feel of motion. Unfortunately your framing really hurts. Too bad you cut off the tail, which is equivalent to a cats whisker, as far as defining character in the animal. I think there is too much negative space on the left. However, if you had a wider shot, then this would work well in the center frame in juxtaposition to the tighter crops in #1 & #3 (see #3 comments).

#3 - (The end of the day) I've never been a fan of seeing the backside of an animal unless there's some toilet humor involved. The image itself is fairly boring and you've cut off the horses hooves. The blue milk crate (?) is meh at best. I really think that a close up with the riders hand filled with oats and the horses muzzle eating said oats over the bottom gate would be a great finish to this triptych.

I like the story but think this is the first draft. Keep at it. Just my 2¢.

Thanks for all your comments.

I didn't realize the tilted house in the first shot; that would be an easy fix.
Regarding the cropping in the second shot, I had at least 80 pics taken while panning but I got one or two where the subject was a bit in focus and the background moving. Unfortunately the cropping wasn't that good. On top of that, I have a tendency of getting as much of the subject without giving any room for cropping errors like the one noted by kundalini.

Regarding the comment about too much space to the left of the second shot, I did it on purpose to increase the effect of movement in the panning. I think the bad cropping is making it to look bad. In general, I am moving away of having subjects in the middle of the picture which you can see it in the first and second shots.

The extra space in the 2nd photo works well I think. the photo is better served having a tighter crop behind the subject than in front of.

I didn't even notice the tilt of #1 until it was mentioned.

This one is by far my fav from this BESP "assignment"

p!nK

Very cool, I like it a lot.
Good story and the images are done well.

My only comment would be: I'd like to see the horse in the center panel facing the other way - might flow better from left to right. Could be a simple horizontal flip (unless there's something about hoseriding or saddles that would make it obvious it is reversed).

Agree with the tilt of the building being a negative, as well as the horse pointing to the left in the middle shot...
C&C is so hard for me on this because i didnt exactly get the best feedback either!
;) And im not sure im getting the whole triptych thing.....But here goes
I dont like the panning in the center shot. It takes away from anything of interest in the first and last shot for me. I guess it really depends on persnal opinion here...I think its a great shot..its just not fitting here for me.

It certainly tells a story and I think the #2 and #3 images are solid... difficult to judge from the size, but I'd say that's a good pan-job on #2.

I'm guessing it's been said already though, but as I have learned overnight, it's not really triptych. I just realized that mine isn't either after reading C&C on another person's submission. I won't comment further on that as I'm confident that Bitter will go into detail. One thing though, picture #1 seems tilted.

I see the story line here, and I especially like the use of motion blur / panning in the center photo. My nits are that I find the background in the first section distracting. It doesn't place the image the same way that the barn in the third section does, and the shed is quite crooked. I also personally would have moved the blue crate from the third section.

Beautiful horse BTW.

Most reactions

Back