Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

This is a sculpture I made in an introduction to glass blowing workshop.

Shot in a 28" light tent with one 26w CF boom light and white foamcore clipped to both sides of the tent.....

GlassSculpture.jpg

Cheers, Don

And I thank you for that.

Tried your suggestion. On the next two shots I didn't bother with much PPing :mrgreen:

This is with minimal back light...

Backlight.jpg

And very little top front corner light...

Topfrontcornerlight.jpg

Just for the heck of it this is a 15 second exposure with no lights except cloudy reflected daylight from the east side of the tent. The tent opening is facing north, the west side is blocked with foamcore and the south side is the backdrop..... little after 2 pm.

GlassNolights.jpg

Cheers, Don

Tough deal on the specular highlights. Glass is usually better when lit from the back. Give it a try if you have a moment.

Love & Bass

I'm curious about the shot you have on your web site of the three wine bottles?

Perhaps the client requested it be shot that way ?

Cheers, Don

Excellent attempts! Actually I think the top front corner light gives the glass the nicest shape.

The three wine bottles was a failed attempt for The Jackson Hole News & Guides FAF special section. The Art Director loved it and it was quite effective because the photo ran small.

Love & Bass

Without seeing, holding the sculpture, my instinct/training is to light whatever I put behind it. Of all the glass things I've photographed, I don't recall ever attempting to shoot something like this with such an irregular shape.

-Pete

I think that's why the "no lights" light was the most successful shot, with such an odd shape there is bound to be a highlight somewhere :D

At some point when I have more time I would like to try the cut out in the bottom of the backdrop and light that. Different colored narrow beam lights might be interesting too...

Cheers, Don

You might be better off using a single light source. Using multiple light scources on glass with curves tends to deceive the eye about the shape of the curves.

You might be better off using a single light source. Using multiple light scources on glass with curves tends to deceive the eye about the shape of the curves.

Not quite sure how to respond to that :D

The first picture is a single light source, a 26w CF bulb.

The last picture is a single light source, the sun on a cloudy day with two sides of the tent blocked...

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back