Hot shoe screws loose and/or missing. How to fix? Or cost to fix?

AXIS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a thread about this already but it was more so addressing a different "problem" that I have since resolved.

Long story short my D3200's hot shoe is pretty flimsy. I popped up the metal spring clip to look at the screws and it looks like 3 of the 4 screws are not even threaded at all (may have loosened and fell inside the body?).

Functionally the hot shoe works fine, I just don't feel safe using it with it being so flimsy. Does anyone know of a DIY method for fixing this issue or it something best left to Nikon? If so, does anyone have an estimate as to what Nikon would charge for this repair? I don't want to invest a significant amount of money into the repair of a $300 body that works perfectly otherwise.

Epoxy cement. Mix up your epoxy according to the directions. Use a toothpick to work some epoxy under the hotshoe. Try to keep the epoxy off the inside of the hotshoe where the electrical contacts are. Place the camera on a table, and pile some books up around it until close to the top ( to help steady the book pile), and then place a couple of heavy books on top, resting on the hotshoe. Go away and don't touch it for 24 hours.

Thats not too bad of an idea, but I like to see how expensive/hard it is to fix the correct way.
Does anyone have access to a D3200 service manual? Im really curious as to what all has to be disassembled to access the hot shoe screws.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back