How about these youngsters

A friend told me his friend in the army used to guard a warehouse. One day he got to go inside. I think he said 1968 or 65, I can't remember. But among other things they showed him the "microwave oven". Who knows if that's true. But interesting and kind of off topic.

When did the microwave oven come out? I do not have many memories of cooking until about 5 years ago.

OH! My I remember driving in my dad's pinto!
I saw Star Wars at the drive-in with that monster speaker you hang on your window.

Mommy, it can't be there were not microwaves in America when you were born. My mom got her first (a huge thing!) in 1973! And that was GERMANY (where everything arrives a little later). The first McDonald's opened up in Cologne in 1977. It was a sensation!

I have seen Neil Armstrong step onto the moon - live!
In black and white.
At my grandparents' - they had a TV set. We did not. Not until 1972, when my grandparents got their first COLOUR TV (for the Olympic Games in Munich in that year), and we got their old black and white one.

And yes ... I must admit: I was around for all those EVENTS and old enough to clearly remember them!

I remember when I was the remote control for the TV...which had two rotary knobs that went ker-chunk--ker-chunk--ker-chunk when turned...and was adorned with not only rabbit ears, but a hoop & bowtie antenna, too. Cable was something you got from Western Union.

I watched Star Trek on that TV...before Enterprise...before Voyager...before Deep Space Nine...before The Next Generation...before any of the movies...and before there were reruns.

I watched grainy black & white pictures of man first walking on the moon...live...holding my breath.

On a trip to Florida, I too went to Disney World before Epcot was built.

On the same trip, I went to the Kennedy Space Center where I saw workers painting the American flag and the bicentennial emblem on the side of the Vehicle Assembly Building. Man, those guys were tiny compared to those paintings.

I was on a Trailways bus headed for Memphis to visit my grandmother when Elvis died and saw the throngs of people gathered around Graceland.

I remember, when I was 14 or so, that I could walk into a K-mart and buy shotgun shells for my single-shot 20-guage before I went dove or quail hunting. Nowadays, such a kid would be arrested, interrogated, crucified in the press along with his parents, and then be subjected to years of quackified counseling for his "unresolved anger issues."

I remember when I would actually get my butt whacked by a school teacher for misbehaving...and I'd get it again when I took the note home to my parents.

I remember when the only way to get money out of the bank was to actually go to the bank and get it myowndamnself.

I could go on and on....guess that makes me a codger. :lol:

mysteryscribe said:

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

Wrong. I have a compact disc produced in 1984. Our final project last year was to get a recording from before 85, and one from after 2000 and compare the differences in the transister equiptment used to record it, the jitter, and the dither.

Wikipedia said:
Philips and Sony decided to join forces, setting up a joint task force of engineers whose mission was to design the new digital audio disc.

The Compact Disc reached the market in late 1982 in Asia and early the following year in other markets.

-I remember watching Friday the 13th at the drive in movies on a Friday the 13th when there were only parts 1 and 2!!!
-Gas was under a buck a gallon.
-It was ok to go outside and play til dark.
-I got to see Haley's Commet last time it came around!!!! (5th grade)
-I watched the Challenger explode live on tv in my 5th grade classroom.
-Dukes of Hazzard, Fat Albert, & Starsky and Hutch were actual tv shows. (my 6 yr old yelled to my 11 yr old the other day - "Bubbie! The OLLLLLLLD Dukes of Hazzard is on tv!")
-Michael Jackson was still black!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back