How can I get this effect?

Why not ask the person that made them? Others can guess but only the person who made them knows for sure.

The second shot has the noticeable "miniature effect", that has the foreground and the background Out OF Focus. Usually the shot is done from above and not down low like in that example.

The idea comes from the fact that in a Macro shot of a small object the depth of field is generally very shallow, giving a final image with only the object itself in focus and the rest OOF. So what you do to make a shot of a normal size object look like it was small is to recreate that OOF area in both the foreground and background of the subject.

It helps if the subject is something that could also be a model, such as a car, train, plane, etc. The first and third of your examples have people that just don't look like they could be miniature models so it sort of loses the effect on those, but the second is just the car.

I've done this with a plane, I had seen the effect like you did and then I happened to be at the airport when a small jet pulled up to my gate. I did a quick pano shot and then did the processing to give it the miniature look. I found that anything extra in the frame makes it more difficult to achieve the miniature look. I had to clone out two workers (especially as it was a pano and they had moved around during the shots).

Well, use the little "water drop" icon on Instagram...that is the tilt/shift feature. You have two types, radial, and linear. It's a part of the Instagram image adjustment parameter options. This tilt/shift effect is often called the miniature effect at this time in history; on many landscapes, using tilt/shift can create the odd sensation that one is viewing a diorama, instead of the real world!

The second shot has the noticeable "miniature effect", that has the foreground and the background Out OF Focus. Usually the shot is done from above and not down low like in that example.

The idea comes from the fact that in a Macro shot of a small object the depth of field is generally very shallow, giving a final image with only the object itself in focus and the rest OOF. So what you do to make a shot of a normal size object look like it was small is to recreate that OOF area in both the foreground and background of the subject.

It helps if the subject is something that could also be a model, such as a car, train, plane, etc. The first and third of your examples have people that just don't look like they could be miniature models so it sort of loses the effect on those, but the second is just the car.

I've done this with a plane, I had seen the effect like you did and then I happened to be at the airport when a small jet pulled up to my gate. I did a quick pano shot and then did the processing to give it the miniature look. I found that anything extra in the frame makes it more difficult to achieve the miniature look. I had to clone out two workers (especially as it was a pano and they had moved around during the shots).
Thanks for the help.

Well, use the little "water drop" icon on Instagram...that is the tilt/shift feature. You have two types, radial, and linear. It's a part of the Instagram image adjustment parameter options. This tilt/shift effect is often called the miniature effect at this time in history; on many landscapes, using tilt/shift can create the odd sensation that one is viewing a diorama, instead of the real world!
I'll try that, thanks.

Most reactions

Back