How dark is dark enough.

monkeykoder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When loading sheet film how dark is dark enough? I'm thinking of loading in my bathroom and as far as I can tell when standing in the corner it is absolutely pitch black I can't see my hand in front of my face but is that dark enough to load a 50iso film?

There really needs to be no light... unless you are super fast. If you have a closet in your bedroom do it in there to be sure, and stuff a towel under the door, with the bedroom blacked out as well. If you want to be sure wait about 5mins for your eyes to adjust, if there is light you will see it. It will really piss you off when find out you fogged your film from something as simple as not taking the time to be careful.

Okay so the 5 min rule should work? That is about what I used to check the bathroom which gets much less light than any of the closets in my house.

Its a good way to check, just let your eyes adjust. If you can, do it at night in the darkest room, if it is a bathroom or closet with no windows you can hang a dark colored sheet or towel over the outside of the door frame and stuff the bottom as mentioned.

Also, if you are doing it in a closet on the floor isolate everything from the carpet as static charges will build and cause little bolts of fogging on the film, and vacuum for dust and hair.

Good Luck!

Most reactions

Back