How do I create pictures with extremely blurry backgrounds?

Uh, I mentioned using a larger aperture too... The others were talking about the OP's existing equipment.

So I guess the ultimate question then is max zoom at f5.6 or min zoom at f3.5? Which will create a more blurry background? Do filters have any effect on the blurriness of the background? Should I use any specific filter other than the standard UV and polarizer filters?

Well with that lens it is hard to do. I just recently purchased a 50mm 1.8 and love it! I know there is better ones out there but for only spending $95.00 on both the lens and UV filter It does a awesome job! With my 50mm 1.8 I don't have to be in my subjects face but at 1.8 you have to watch you depth of field so you don't blur out too much.
What is the make and model of this 50 mm your referring to?

Max focal length, at a closer distance, at 5.6

Wide angle is really hard to get dramatically out of focus backgrounds, and you need to be pretty much right in your subject's face at that point. Unless you own 1.2 aperture lenses :p

I have to disagree with you when you say its NOT that simple... the following image was taken on my Nikon D50 using a 70-300mm Zoom lens, auto focus.. and come to think of it, it was even on one of the auto modes.. subject is in focus, and background is blurred out.. i did not do any post procssing to this picture..

20080908-phu6a86n78jnikf4m35qq1naca.jpg

:???::irked::drunk: If you learn to shoot in manual rather than trying to rely on what you "happen" to get in auto, you can achieve the results you want everytime. I have some shots w/ crazy amazing bokeh and theres NO way I could have gotten that in auto!!!

SLP Tech1, try to invest in another lens, and study and practice shooting in manual w/ your aperture wide open! I have the 85 1.8 prime and get the results you are looking for! Good luck!

I use my 55-250 to get a nice blurred background..here are a few pics.

1. I believe this one was zoomed in all the way with most likely an aperture of 5.6-8
AidanWeb2.jpg

2. I don't remember what my focal length was, but my aperture was most likely at 4 or 8.
AidanWeb5.jpg

Last edited:
Basically, try and get as close to the subject as you can & select as large an aperture (or as small an F-number) as you can. I think everything else has been explained. If you really want that kind of an effect, then I would highly recommend buying a 50mm f/1.8 "Nifty Fifty" lens. It costs virtually nothing, and you can get some fantastic DoF blur with it.

- use the largest aperture available
- get the subject as far away from the background as you can
- use the longest focal length you can
- get as close to the subject as you can

filters have no effect

stay away from photoshop blur, it looks fake easily

The effect can be enhanced in photoshop using the radian blur or similar filters,

although true and a great helpfull hint, I tend to believe its always better to get the closest to your desired effect WHILE taking the picture as opposed to post pic editing. Generally you want to change as little as possible in the editing programs. (unless of course you are plain doing some serious crazy/artistic editing)

not that TKS doesnt know this already obviously b/c he already posted the best way, just saying dont take this statement to heart and rely on things like this

Exposure:0.005 sec (1/200)Aperture:f/2.8Focal Length:50 mmISO Speed:200

2935849556_f456eb15b0.jpg

As everyone else said, its really a matter of opening up your lens really wide and getting very close to the subject and make sure its much closer relative to the background. I think I was about 2 feet from the cat while the far background was about 10 feet away. As you can tell, the DOF was very shallow and the background blur was pretty intense. Good luck messing around with this, it takes a little practice to get the right balance between DOF and background blur (bokeh). This was shot with a 50mm f/1.4 lens. Hope this helps.

Nick

Most reactions

Back