How do I even begin to put myself out there?

C'mon Robbins you're already out there in your monkey suit, you don't want that kind of competition do ya?! lol

I'm mostly self taught as a photographer but have taken workshops etc. over the years. It's always been a sideline for me and challenging to say the least today for anyone to earn a fulltime living as a photographer. Seems like those who are, have established studios or spent years building up a business and a reputation.

Newspapers have cut/fired photographers so existing jobs in that field are few; mostly it's freelance or the paper giving their reporters a cell phone (that actually happened at the Chicago Sun Times, sad to say).

Along with ASMP which I use and has already been mentioned (and has a lot of info. to read and study, webinars, etc.) you could try PPA or take a look at Photo Magazine Professional Photography Industry News and Resources .

Doing events means knowing what to do in a variety of situations, knowing your camera as well as the back of your hand, being able to compose and frame shots efficiently/quickly as things can happen fast. It seems to be making contacts, finding an opportunity, and one leading to another.

The starting point as far as it being more than a hobby might be the tricky part; for me it was a 'would you do ___?' and wasn't anything I'd planned on or expected. Over time people get to know you as the one at all the games shooting hockey (or in your case the one at the ___ shooting ___). Somewhere along the way I knew I had talent, I loved it and could spend hours at it, and knew someday I'd do 'something' with my photography - it was years later before I figured out what that would be. More recently I've been doing submissions to juried exhibits, but that is no way going to pay the bills!

I'd suggest considering joining a camera club, taking adult continuing ed.; if there's a photography exhibit somewhere get your butt there. Some things don't necessarily lead to anything, other times it can be surprising where you may learn something or get an opportunity. But you know the saying about not quitting your day job, you'll probably need to figure out something that can provide income and over time maybe the photography will develop into a part time job/career (and realistically that's probably a big maybe).

In just my local camera club, there are two photographers who provide interesting examples of what the photography business is like today.

The first is a sports shooter who has been shooting as close to full time as possible for years. He has press passes to every sporting event locally, has immense amounts of equipment and spends every weekend on the road somewhere. He's had shots in most major publications but actually shoots high school and local college sports for most of his income and depends on his spouse's excellent job for most of his livelihood.

The second is a friend who shot road and track for the last 8-10 years. He travelled a lot and has based his business on sales to the drivers and crews. He quit recently because the drivers have been getting all the shots they need from friends with cameras and the drivers don't appreciate the difference between the average shot and what he produces.

I love shooting and don't make any attempt to get paid for shots (if indeed anyone would want them) because I don't want to trade enjoyment for money.

Most reactions

Back