How do you blur foreground only?

nikonusersince2007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know you can blur background only by using an open aperature like F 2.4.
But how do you blur foreground only and have the background in focus?

Thanks

Learn about Depth of Field (DoF), and how different lenses, focal lengths, sensor sizes, etc. affect it.

The biggest secret is to focus manually.

Shallow DOF, focus on the Background instead of your Foreground subject

When you're shooting with a shallow depth of field (ie f2.8 - f1.2) you will create blur anywhere you are not immediately focused on. So if you want to blur the foreground, focus on something in the back ground and make sure you have your foreground subjects close to the lens, the closer they are, the more blurred they'll be.

Older lenses used to have depth of field indicators on them. That really helped. Either use a calculator online, download an app that does the calculation for your smartphone, or print out a depth of field table for your lens and camera: Depth of Field Table

I would think the other way. Use more depth of field. Focus just a little bit behind the subject (make sure subject is still in focus).

Shallow DOF, focus on the Background instead of your Foreground subject

Blurring the foreground is the same as blurring the background. Instead of focusing on the background you focus on the foreground...

Use a larger aperture and focus it to hyperfocal distance. Place your subject around the place you're focusing and it's best to use a longer focal length because more depth of field is distributed in front of the focused area.

I still don't quite understand what "Focal Length" is.
Is "focal length" the distance from the camera to the subject I am focusing on?
Or
is it the distance from the subject I am focusing on to the backdrop/background)?
Use a larger aperture and focus it to hyperfocal distance. Place your subject around the place you're focusing and it's best to use a longer focal length because more depth of field is distributed in front of the focused area.

DOF%20x%203.jpg

The green means everything in that region is in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back