How do you buy a drone? Watch YouTube?

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
not like you can go in a test fly a drone....
If you go to camera store, you can hold and test the camera, but not a drone?
I guess I should see if there are 'drone' clubs around me.

Not looking for over the top pro, but mid range. This is NOT a forum on how I can't fly it anywhere. We travel in a motor home and we are in lots of wilderness /off grid type areas.

Anyone have the 360 cameras? Not really sold on one, but curious. Sams had the Samsung Gear 360 for $189 this weekend.

The cheap ones you have to actually fly. The better ones have gyroscopes in them that keep them level and even altitude hold. So, you just have to manipulate where you want it to go. I keep thinking of getting one. But not sure how much I would use it.

I think a lot depends on what you want it to achieve; with the more you want to achieve raising the price quite a bit. I think iron out what you want it to do and go from there.

As Ben says the higher up you go the more refined and fully featured they are; though even with all the automatic features a higher end drone is likely going to benefit from an experienced operator who knows what's going on. I also think drones are a bit like hobby airplanes - you don't send it into the air unless you're prepared to have it crash - a drone with a go-pro and you might only have to fix the done; a drone with a DSLR - well chances are that one flies itself well but its still an expensive drop!

The only other thing I can say as a general comment on the use of drones - remember even if you're out in the wild be careful. A fair few conservation groups and areas have issued blanket bans on drones because people will (often inadvertently or through ignorance) harass wildlife. Drones make a lot of noise and can cause quite significant disturbance to wildlife. It's something to be mindful when you're using them, as I'm sure you're already aware (but others reading the thread might not be)

Sparky can probably give you some advice.

I was looking into it, briefly. One piece of advice I read was to forget about the camera to begin with. Start with a cheaper drone and learn to fly it, without crashing, before adding the extra dimension of controlling a camera.

Last edited:
I bought a DJI spark a few months ago and I absolutely love it. It does everything I want/need and it’s super easy to fly.. if you already know photography the camera side of it takes 5 minutes to master.

No regrets whatsoever for my intended use. If you have any questions let me know.

I took these with the spark yesterday during a 3-4 minute quick flight while I was waiting for the sun to set. I love the different perspective it gives of things we take for granted. The second one is an automated panorama of about 9 images or so.. pretty impressive for a drone the size of my hand in 15-20mph wind.

i-fCHHwQM-X3.jpg

i-wTB6HMB-X3.jpg

Just so you know if you live within a certain # of miles from a airport you can't even fly in your backyard.

Just so you know if you live within a certain # of miles from a airport you can't even fly in your backyard.

Not true.

If you're within 5 miles of an airport you simply have to call the airport to notify them that you'll be flying and answer some basic safety questions. If you live within 5 miles of a passenger airport that has regular service from large jets this could be somewhat of a hassle; however if you're like most people and live near a small airport that doesn't even have an ATC tower, then it's usually as simple as one phone call to the airport when you first get your drone to obtain ongoing permission to fly in the area under a certain set of parameters.

But *technically* an airport cannot actually stop you from flying within 5 miles of them. They can recommend that you don't and ask that you don't, but legally you don't have to listen. Now... you probably should listen because if you disregard their warning and strike a manned aircraft or cause an incident you'll face major liability.. but they cannot legally stop you from flying within 5 miles of them.

Sorry not enough info. I meant San Jose airport or Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Airport. Is that a mouthful? I have a friend who is into camera drones and there are walls around some airports he is within 5 mi. and can't take off in his backyard.

Sorry not enough info. I meant San Jose airport or Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Airport. Is that a mouthful? I have a friend who is into camera drones and there are walls around some airports he is within 5 mi. and can't take off in his backyard.

Again, if he contacted ATC he would be able to get an exception.

It’s important to know the law. Unless it’s designated as a no fly zone by the FAA, you can fly.

The weight of the unit comes into play, as well. The rules have been relaxed since they were first created; at one time, most of central and southern Maryland was a no fly zone, due to two major airports, a military air base and several smaller airports.

Most reactions

Back