How do you do it?

RowmyF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I'm just getting into the industry and being known as a "professional photographer" although I consider myself an "aspiring photographer".

I have a couple of questions which I would love to get some responses to.

1. When you do a session, you're bound to take a few hundred shots while only giving the client a selection of them. What did you respond to the "Didn't you take more shots? Why can't I see all of them? What happened to the shot of me in so & so?" Not always do they turn out how I want them to, but I'm not looking to disclose that to my clients.

2. When the client orders prints, how do you deliver them to the client in terms of packaging? How do you wrap up their photos so they're presented professionally?

Thanks for any responses!!

The people in this forum best suited to answer your questions generally hang out in a different area: "General Shop Talk" under "The Business District"...

Perhaps an admin will move your thread shortly.

1. When you do a session, you're bound to take a few hundred shots while only giving the client a selection of them. What did you respond to the "Didn't you take more shots? Why can't I see all of them? What happened to the shot of me in so & so?" Not always do they turn out how I want them to, but I'm not looking to disclose that to my clients.
I would just reassure them that you have given them the best shots and that the other shots were either duplicates or not up to your high standards. If they make a stink about it, find one where they have their eyes closes or are making a funny face show them that. :lol:

2. When the client orders prints, how do you deliver them to the client in terms of packaging? How do you wrap up their photos so they're presented professionally?
I've just been using plain envelopes but there are many many options for profesional presentation.
I couldn't find any photos on her site, but a photographer I know Jennifer Jacula does an absolutely fantastic job of presentation with her photos. Fancy little boxes in fancy bags...all in a nice color scheme with her logo on them.

exactly what big mike said...you will fidn when you are starting out you will get that question alot... simply put, they were not up to your standards and leave it that. stick to your guns!!! only show the best.

as for packaging...i dont do fancy packaging....i mean weddings proofs are preseneted in an album, eshoots or family/baby are simply in a photo envelope & brown paper envelope with my card & price list. However, whn i give cd's, there are in cool tin case i got from american digital...with my logo on it...

Kim, do you have a website for the company where you buy the tins? I'm looking in to presenting my cds in a nicer way and I'd like to see what you're using:)
Row, I currently mail out all of my orders, so I just use the Glassine sleeve that my printer sends with the order. Eventually I may switch to meeting in person and I'll probably make it a little prettier. I like to use 4.25x6.25 boxes about 1.5" deep with black tissue paper and a silver bow on the outside that I order from Albumsinc.com

I tell the clients before I show the images that I have eliminated the goofy looks and closed eyes, and am presenting the best images from their session. I also joke with them that the main difference between a professional and an amateur is that professionals throw away their mistakes. :)

In presentation, we use black boxes with gold ties and tissue wrapping with cute stickers holding it closed. Then we open the box and rip the stickers from the tissue. It's like opening a present!

Larger portraits - 11x14 and up - are presented framed on easels. That one simple method of presentation accounted for over $30k in add-on frame sales last year!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back