How Do You Handle Payments??

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read so many different things on different photographers sites... generally speaking, for those of you who are paid to do photos, how do you handle the payments??? is it 50% at booking 50% at delivery? is it 100% at delivery??

I just want to know what others are doing?

For weddings - 1/3 at booking, 1/3 30 days before, and 1/3 2 weeks prior to wedding. Unless it's for a shoot and burn then it's 1/2 at booking and 1/2 two weeks prior to wedding. If they are ordering things like an album that's not included then there's a deposit of 1/2 the price.

maybe you could ask this over in general shop talk ( i think that would be the place?) might get better responses!

Dont forget a legal contract. Seriously. nothing to overly worded but enough to say if they cancel, they only get so much % back, or if they decide they dont want actual prints they only get so much refund, etc. Just like booking a reservation at a hotel, if they cancel you *could* have had another job or something...or the hotel could have rented that room to somone who actually would have showed up.

I get paid nada until the client accepts the images. That's always a touch freaky, but it seems to be the way it's handled in the particular space that I'm in. Once they accept the images, I invoice them and usually get paid 20-40 days later.

I'm kind of expecting this will be an issue at some point, but hasn't become a problem yet. :)

I've been working on my own wedding contract for future use, and I have down 50% on booking, 50% before proofs are delivered (with it recommended being paid the day of the wedding). My justification is based on two things.

First, I think splitting it up too much (more than 3 different payments for the basic package) is annoying and requires more of a calendar than I think the couple wants. So I'd say stick with nothing more complicated than 50/50 or 33/33/33.

Second, I went with the standard for the first payment, basically a "hold the date" payment. But for the second payment, I thought to go with the "before the proofs" more as a good faith gesture to the couple, saying, "I trust you to pay me for the work I'm going to do." BUT, they don't get any of the photos until I get my money, hence the second 50% due prior to receipt of the proofs. After all, by that time, I've finished pretty much most of my work, and so should have all my money.

Edit: If they opt to order anything in addition to whatever package prints, then payment is due upon ordering, as with pretty much any other kind of merchant (think ordering from a catalog, if people actually do that anymore).

I was close to Mike. For weddings one third at signing, one third one week prior and one third when the order was placed, as well as the rest of the money for additional prints ordered by the couple, family members, et al. If it was a hit and run it was a reduced rate due at signing, ALL UP FRONT.

I set a flat dollar figure as a deposit minimum. I make it clear that it can be paid in a lump sum or split between a monthly charge or sparatic, I dont care. As long as it's paid in full 30 days prior to the wedding.

I dont work unless I'm paid for in full. Although, if you dont want to do that.. just dont deliver any images until their paid for. Just my opinion.

I set a flat dollar figure as a deposit minimum. I make it clear that it can be paid in a lump sum or split between a monthly charge or sparatic, I dont care. As long as it's paid in full 30 days prior to the wedding.

What on Earth is 'sparatic' ?

The majority of wedding photographers that I speak to is 34% down immediately to reserve the date and lock in the negotiated prices, 33% at 60 days before the event and the final 33% due 30 days before the event. A couple were 50% now and 50% a week before the event, and none had a setup that required payment on the day of the event or later. All amounts were taxes included.

Non-wedding photographers had different methods from 50% down at booking to no payment until delivery. Depends on the business owner, I suppose. I would not think it wise to leave anything unpaid till the last second, thats asking to be "abused".

It's good to see what other photographers are doing with payments...I know I didn't post the original, but thanks to everyone for the posts.

We have ours set up for 50% at booking (we may reduce it), then the rest is due at least 2 weeks before the wedding. Clients can add another payment date in between there if they want. Or, they can just pay it all at once. We wanted to be flexible and affordable for our clients, so that's how we did it. And if you have a contract, then the client can pay with confidence, knowing that you are legally bound to deliver the paid-for goods. I agree with Jerry, though - however you set it up, be careful that you aren't in a position to be abused.

My work is a little different to wedding work as I have repeat clients at smaller amounts than weddings. But I invoice my clients weekly or fortnightly with 7 day invoices. It's good to keep that cashflow turning over.
That's probably another reason to split it up 33/33/33... coz then you have a cashflow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back