How do you keep your camera safe when you go out shooting

I usually carry my bag on me at all times. Not that i'm paranoid nor scared but I have left things behind before and this way I prevent someone snatching my goods and forgetting things.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to study your surrounding and if possible, shoot with someone you know.

I don't carry more than I can keep my eye on at all times. I never carry a tripod. I also have a 9mm auto stuffed in a pocket.

no special precautions here, unless in a crowd where the camera would always be attached to my body even while setting up things.

been to strange countries, never had any serious trouble with thieves so far.

In some countries / places things are very relaxed. I already left equipment worth around 2000 USD in my tent in Northern Sweden for a day.

Pretty much the same with me. It took some courage but I had to convince myself that I'll never get a good shot if I'm continually worrying about losing my equipment.

I don't carry more than I can keep my eye on at all times. I never carry a tripod. I also have a 9mm auto stuffed in a pocket.

I think you would be better off with an AK-47. My roomate's dad is pretty big on grenade launchers too. I think that it sounds like a good idea.

Now if you live in the real world and if you are a reasonable enough person and don't want to shot someone just for grabing your camera, i would advice trying to keep your bag on you at all time. I have a regular backpack that i have stuffed with camera and lens pouches. It doesn't look like anything worth much and it is easily manageable, even when setting up.

If someone was to grab and run away with my camera bag while I was messing with the tripod, I would just go down the hallway to their bedroom and tell them to give it back. Then I may ground them and not allow them to watch TV that evening or something.

Can you tell I mostly use my tripod at home? :mrgreen:

About the insurance part, I'm not an insurance broker, but I am positive that in Canada there ought to be a few who could give you a quote if your equipment is lost or stolen. If you sell your photos, you'll most certainly want to get insurance to cover any sort of loss, due to theft or neglect or whatever.

I, too, have been in places where I probably worry less about things being stolen, though I certainly want to keep my eye on things when there is any sort of crowd, or in an area I'm not familiar with. You never know, and it takes only 3 or 4 seconds to quietly pick up a bag and get lost in a crowd.

Well I don't have a problem because I shoot with an Nikon F4s... criminals tremble with fear when they see me weilding that solid block of iron about. ;)

Pretty much the same with me. It took some courage but I had to convince myself that I'll never get a good shot if I'm continually worrying about losing my equipment.

exactly my problem haha

contemplating taking my camera to lisbon in july, wll be there for more than a week of which 3 days i will be going to a music festival so whilst im gonna be sightseeing the rest of the days dunno what im gonna do with my camera for the 3 festival days...im also staying in a cheap hostel which doesnt help

In particular if a certain piece of equipment is very new, it needs some courage. I remember having strange dreams one night where I had some trouble keeping my gear from being damaged / stolen. But in the end in that dream I managed well :lmao:

oh yeh, i've had that kind of crazy dream before...

i have dreams sometimes like if i have a ticket for a concert and i keep thinking im gonna lose it, then i dream that it broke or i lost it or something similar haha...human mind...its crazy

Sounds cool...but in NYC you'll just cause a bomb scare :(

Trouble is anything in some places causes people to panic!

I wish people would just grow up and realise that terrorists aren't everywhere.

Where I live, no one messes with your stuff. I left my camera in my car on accident when I was at work one day, and it was in broad daylight (It wasn't too hot or too cold, though). No one ever messed with it, nor does anyone ever mess with stuff where I am. Most people leave their homes and cars unlocked, and people even tell me I'm paranoid when I do lock my car.

Wow, I envy you. At my high school, anything left unattended for more than a minute or two is ransacked, and all the valuables taken. They have about 300 ipod thefts a year. I have had my PE locker broken into and stuff taken on 4 different occasions, and the school does nothing about it except tell you not to bring valuables to school. I would never bring anything more valuable than my phone and a couple of dollars to school. So far, I have gotten a phone, an Ipod, and $40 worth of cash stolen from me, and I'm in my freshman year.

After those experiences, I keep everything on me at all times, and if and when I get a DSLR, I will never let it out of my sight. I may even handcuff the bag to my wrist :lol:. Maybe not the handcuff, but I am serious about the rest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back