How do you send files to clients?

herrickphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.herrickphoto.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I was wondering how you sent digital files to clients once they'e made a purchase. I've been using both Dropbox and Google Drive, but would be interested in learning about any other services out there? All the best, Lynn

www.herrickphoto.co.uk

I use hightail and wetransfer at work. Hightail is probably the more professional one that allows more control over files. Wetransfer is just simpler to use.

My website allows customers to download directly from it.

I drive to their home and present them with a customized folio containing their prints; for the rare retail client for whom I do have to provide digital images, I provide a customized USB drive. Commercial clients are served by sercure FTP/dowload off of my website. Nothing says "Professional" like, "Oh, here... you can go get your pictures from www.someotherplace.com, unless maybe it's an g-mail e-mail address!

I actually clicked that link...WTFFFFFF hahahahhaha

Same with me as sscarmack -- I open up a folder in my website for them to download from. But this requires that you are familiar with creating a website from scratch as opposed to simple redirection of your domain name to, say, wordpress.

But I also feel that clients (at least the traditional-minded ones) would like something concrete that they can hold in their hands. So I burn a CD or DVD then mail it along with the invoice (and in the future, a vistaprint marketing brochure).

SD cards are coming down in price, too -- about $5 for 2 gb. They would be ideal delivery mechanisms, too. A client of mine uses a Macbook Air which I don't think comes with a DVD drive.

Not everyone has immediate access to optical drives any more, and not all machines have SD/Card slots, BUT... almost everyone with a computer has a USB drive. <-Real, working link!

Normally I burn the files to a disc and deliver it. If I want to impress them, I will use a Lightscribe disc and create an image & layout to burn onto it.

I also have the option to have them get the files from my website. I have a photo store application that is mainly for ordering prints, but I can also set it up to sell digital files for download, or I can simply allow them to download the files if they were purchased as part of the initial package.

It's called Photocart.

I duct tape an SD card to a brick and toss it through their front window. If I'm trying to impress them I'll paint the brick first.. lol
Well... I guess that's better than some of the things your species is known for throwing!

Oh, believe me, if I could figure out how to get an SD card duct taped to it..

Lol

When clients visit my site they are given a link to their own password protected gallery that I've laid out for them. Then they can just click on any of the images to download the full-resolution edited image. That way I can control who has access to their photos, and I can verify when someone has actually downloaded their images, and how many times.

I use ShootProof. It is a nice looking gallery where clients can order prints, download select photos or all at once.

I'd like to get to a point where I am doing face to face sales but that is down the road (for me at least). In the immediate, this offers me a way to deliver the digital files that most my clients want / expect and to gain some print sales off it as well. You get to set your own pricing with some of the top labs and have a lot of control over the prints and shipping.

You can try the service with the free account which limits you to 100 photos. Might work if you shoot portraits and such but not enough for weddings etc.

Online Photo Proofing | ShootProof | Sell Photography Online | ShootProof (that's my affiliate link if you use it we will both get extra photos included with our membership (not sure if affiliate links are allowed but I didn't initiate so I hope it is okay))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back