How Do You...

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you take a compliment on a photo that you've shot with obvious flaws?

Do you point out to the viewer what you believe is wrong with it?

or ,...???

nah..... take the compliment..... flaws are for people like us to improve... if the viewer is pleased the message of your picture was properly relayed.....

the common viewer may only recognize 1/16 of the distractions we do....

BUT.... if the intent of the image is totally misinterpreted by the viewer and your message is lost... I would then admit the errors and my intentions...

If they like it who am I to say differently? The "flaws" may be as subjective as the art itself. Maybe they do like that dodgy picture because it has a crooked horizon for instance.

i think it's like with any type of compliment! just say thank you and be happy someone likes your work!

Never, unless I'm talking with photo geeks about how it was created. No one else cares.

Exactly.

As much as we worry of exposure, lighting and composition, in the end the viewer is only going to care if the image strikes something inside them. They don't understand that the reason they like it is usually BECAUSE of all those above things, just that they do.

Plus you can turn into one of those annoying artists who always downs their own work. I freaking HATE that.

Me "Oh I like your new painting/song/photo/drawing a lot. It's really interesting and good!"
Them: "Oh no, its horrible I wasn't using the right brush/melody/aperture/pencil and I just don't like the results"

Blah. That's really annoying.

I think I always appreciate compliments on my work, but it does bother me when I realize that the photo itself isn't really worth the compliment. However, unless I'm talking to someone who might understand why it isn't a good photo (usually the ones who wouldn't just blindly say "great photo!!"), I don't usually say something. However, I take note of why they say they like it, and why I don't feel it is worth the compliment, and I learn from both. I must have done something right if they like it, so I take that and I try to improve on that element.

How do you take a compliment on a photo that you've shot with obvious flaws?

Do you point out to the viewer what you believe is wrong with it?

or ,...???

Same way I handle when someone tells me I'm attractive. I don't point out that my noise is kind of small and that scar and ... well, you get the idea. Just say thanks.

People may not see all the flaws that we do - I think the more we know the more we get picky on smaller issues etc.

If its a really major flaw i'll mention it sometimes when posting - if its just a bit of noise or something I don't always mention it.

A compliment is a compliment :D If we didn't like the pic ourselves then we wouldnt post it originally I'd say - so there must be something we, and others hopefully, like about it. :D

take it.

what "flaws" maybe to you
maybe someone elses eye candy.

getme?

Cviste, I get you exactly. Flaws are often what makes the conventional image interesting. If we all followed the same rules - what a boring sport this would be.

Abraxas, your perfectionism is what drives you to improve. The compliment is being offered to you because you've moved them with your image. It's an even greater complement because what you believe to be flawed has still, somehow, made an impression.

Ever buy a flawless diamond? Neither have I - but they still look great, don't they?

Making that impression, causing someone to pause and take in the image: isn't that what drives us all to do this?

How do you....

...post the question in the title?

Seriously, you'd get more responses if you didn't leave us in suspense. I avoided this topic simply because I would have to read it to figure what it was about. Also, I only read this topic to make sure this mishap hasn't already been covered :D

How do you....

...post the question in the title?

Seriously, you'd get more responses if you didn't leave us in suspense. I avoided this topic simply because I would have to read it to figure what it was about. Also, I only read this topic to make sure this mishap hasn't already been covered :D

Think of the post as a rhetorical question, to evoke discussion more than a request for advice, and to at least persuade thought even more so than response.

Good stuff here. Thanks eveyone!

Isn't that called trolling? :D :lmao:

If the photograph has flaws, technical, poorly seen, or otherwise it shouldn't be printed and shown in the first place. Keep a razor blade close by your light table for such things, or simply press delete.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back