How do you....

sunbeam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Make a picture true black and white? Is it a setting you shoot with on camera, or is it a 'trick' in pp? (I have pse 7.) Thanks!

What is pp? Some camera's have a B&W setting and most software will allow you to convert a color image to B&W.

It seems like alot of my images are more 'grey' than that sharp black and white? Do I need to mess with contrast or shadows or anything to get that crisp black and white look?

there isn't a trick. there are several methods that one can use from a one click

(not very product) to converting using channel mixing.

it is also important to think (visualize inblack and white terms)

try levels and/or curves. to help separate gray tones

There are several good books on digital B/W. Just 'desaturating' in photoshop, although it converts to b/w, doesn't do a very good job. As one uses filters in film b/w, you need to adjust the different color intensities in the b/w image. You can set your camera to b/w but, in my experience, it doesn't do a great job either. Additionally, having the full-color information gives you greater flexibility.

Amazon.com: Advanced Digital Black & White Photography (A Lark Photography Book) (9781600592102): John Beardsworth: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
AWESOME! Thank you everyone! There's some great advice here. I really appreciate the response :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back