How Gifted do YOU think you are at photography???

OK- how good are you?

• I'm the Creator's gift to photography- really good

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I'm not the best, but I'm very good

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • I'm not fantastic, but I'm better than average

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I'm totally average

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I wish I was average, but I'm not that good

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I'm considerably worse that average

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I authentically stink at photography

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
My talent is small but I work hard to compensate for the lack of gift. Some are gifted some have to work hard. That is life. Some are born beautiful and work hard to stay beautiful. Some are gifted and work hard to reach a level us earthlings will never reach. But working hard and never stop to learn will bring you a long way.

I am a working professional and have proficiency in architecture photos, food photos and people photos plus science writing and presentation in words and I believe also in poetry

im fabulous.
not quite Gods gift to photography though...im no Ken Rockwell.

As of this morning: 26 votes and not one vote for 'considerably worse than average'. Not sure what to make of that, but I find it interesting.

Makes me fear that I voted incorrectly for myself. I mean, SOMEBODY has gotta be considerably worse, right? o_O :oops::confused:

I did not vote. No option seems to be an answer to your question, depending how you define "gifted"

I did not vote. No option seems to be an answer to your question, depending how you define "gifted"
Exactly! It's all context and perception, isn't it?

Among my "normal' friends, I am a genius.

Among you guys, I'm grasping for "just OK".

Among the best of you, I'm a hopeless case.

I struggle with trying to get in touch with where the real truth lies. I think a lot of it depends upon your personality, really. I recall many years ago, one of my kids was involved in various sports teams, and regardless of the sport or his ACTUAL skill level, he would accurately locate the best talent on the team, identify that person as the best, and then announce that HE was the second-best. On the other hand- one of my other kids would consistently rate himself as the worst on the team despite the fact that he was actually pretty OK.

I just find the whole phenomena of self-perception to be pretty interesting.

Last edited:

I struggle with trying to get in touch with where the real truth lies. I think a lot of it depends upon your personality, really. I recall many years ago, one of my kids was involved in various sports teams, and regardless of the sport or his ACTUAL skill level, he would accurately locate the best talent on the team, identify that person as the best, and then announce that HE was the second-best. On the other hand- one of my other kids would consistently rate himself as the worst on the team despite the fact that he was actually pretty OK.

Well then, if you haven't already, you need to read about the Dunner-Kruger effect (the "unskilled and unaware" effect.)

It's all relative. I can be any of three middle choices (below/average/above) depending on the comparison. Within this forum, I place myself at the lower end of that scale while among fiends and family, I could be at the upper. Either way, it's something I have to work at, not a natural gift.

Well then, if you haven't already, you need to read about the Dunner-Kruger effect (the "unskilled and unaware" effect.)
I haven't – and I will!

Gift is IMO something you got without working for it

Achievement is something you gain by working hard for it

IMO I got next to no gift but a lot of achievement

Your question asks for the GIFT but you answers relate to the "current skill level" which is the result of gift and achievement over many years IMO

I hope I'm not that bad, when it comes to talent, but I am pretty sloppy at times, finding mistakes as soon as I check the images on the computer. Also when something doesn't work as planned I go with what I've got too quick instead of trying to get exactly what I had in mind.
Sometimes I still get some nice images despite these deficiencies, that has to be that little talent for photography in me.

Dunning Kruger.

Intelligence is the natural ressource that is distributed just fine: No one complains he/she does not have enough of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back