How I do it

OMG! I think I would die if I were in your position! That is sooo amazing.
You are a legend for even getting in that thing - but then to be able to think and produce awesome shots like you do just makes me so jealous!

Well... I'm truly amazed. I absolutely HATE riding in small aircraft. I can't imagine making excellent photos like these while preoccupied with the thought of "Let this end!"

I particularly like the third image in your series... the one over the river. Most cool!

-Pete

i think i would pee myself thinking i was going to fall out o_O

Thanks for all the comments. I have to say no matter what aircraft or setup I have had in my air-to-air shoots I have always felt 100% at home in the environment. I do however believe in safety first but I have no problem leaning out and taking the pics. For me it is my "X" game, a real adrenaline rush and you have to stay 100% focused. You have to think about vibration and adjust for turbulence. Be a spotter for the pilot and warn him about other aircraft in the area and watch to make sure the subject aircraft does not collide with you. On some shoots depending on the aircraft I do wear a parachute that will allow me to escape if there is a collision and loss of control but most of the times I have no such luxury. The most important part I have found is surrounding myself with good formation capable pilots, most of which participate in airshows. In the early years I did this with anyone who wanted to go and soon learned I may not live long so I will only go with pilots I know are capable or come with a good recommendation. There are a few pilots I have to dodge at shows as no one wants to fly near them.

The most frustrating part is you are at the pilots mercy and can’t control their positioning so you can only capture what they present to you. I constantly dream about the next shoot and what it may be.

Eric

Wow, those are cool. And its even more cool that you're just hanging (safely of course) out of the very tail of the aircraft. For me, I still get a little nervous flying on or in anything other than my radio control planes.

Great shots, great story.

Take care-J

Surrealist said:
wdme4181 is a peach of a photo. is it not a bit cold/noisy in your pod?

Down low it is warm and no direct wind blowing on me. Just vibration. If you climb up to 7,000ft then it starts to get a little cold. Been frosted a few times.

Eric

Most reactions

Back