How long to have the camera out in the cold?

Bea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was going to venture out and take some pic's of the snow etc....
How long can you use your camera outside in this freezing weather?
I know prolonged hot/cold temps can damage the battery.......but how long is prolonged?

unless it's -20 outside, you have nothing to worry about.

Just let it defrost for about as much time as you were out in the cold when you're done. I've heard putting it in a ziploc bag makes things safer, by the condensation collecting on the bag, not the camera, but you need to be careful about water dripping down.

If you're camera is sealed though, none of that applies.

Yes it is the rapid change in temperature you have to guard against. Your hands will probably freeze before you have been out too long.

-Shea

Cold weather will sap the power from the batteries...that is your main concern, unless it's really, really cold. Have a spare battery and keep it warm, you may have to switch it out often.

As mentioned, you want to avoid bringing the camera from a cold (dry) environment into a warm (humid) environment...as it will cause condensation to form all over your gear, inside and out. The best thing to do, is to seal up your gear in a plastic bag before you come in...then let it warm up gradually before you open the bag. If you don't have a plastic bag, just keep it in a good camera bag and let it warm up a long while before you open it.

unless it's -20 outside, you have nothing to worry about.

Just let it defrost for about as much time as you were out in the cold when you're done. I've heard putting it in a ziploc bag makes things safer, by the condensation collecting on the bag, not the camera, but you need to be careful about water dripping down.

If you're camera is sealed though, none of that applies.

-20 is nothing, try -60 now thats a challenge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back