How low can you go to make money?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by tecboy, May 22, 2017.

1. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Amen to that. I should add that being a professional photographer doesn't necessarily mean good photographer. Think of those portrait operations in a mall. Change the subject, fire the shutter. I think there are probably as many good photographers in the serious amateur ranks per capita than there are in the professional ranks. I've made money doing horse portraits and pictures of factory floors that any serious amateur could do. I've seen professional photographer web sites with images that turn my stomach. I'm not fond of weddings either. ;)

2. kretterath

kretterath TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any time you have any sort of money invested into a photography business you have to charge according to what your output and experience is. A beginner building a portfolio wouldn't be on the same pay scale as someone who has been shooting for money for 10 years.

3. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I plumb the depths of depravity on a semi-regular basis.

4. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not much talk of actual numbers. Now I'm not a paid photographer but run some numbers. Paid could mean 20k a yr but to walk away from a decent job I'd need 50k salary to me after most expenses that's a good 960 say 1k a week. That's going to be rough. I see 600$ baby pics but not convinced even a good photographer could get that twice a week. Need corporate steady work and or weddings in season. pause for a sec.

5. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

One main issue is how much work you can expect to get and how much time would you spend photographing vs advertising and businessing.

Maybe turn that on it's head and ask how many people you can support if you shot 40hrs a week. $100 an hour seems reasonable many things cost more than that weddings etc. $4,000 a week among 4 people... alright many other expenses too especially bringing in more people.

What 4 do we need. Full time ad person, business and retoucher. Toss out the retoucher and pay the taxes and insurance. And at 50k we expect professionalish people. Advertising and business folk make more.

10k in startup gear. Full frame cam 2-3 good lenses. Stands, lights etc. 4-5k month NYC studio. 1k anywhere else or 25o wk. Pay off equipment or make back in 5 years. That's 2k year eq.

52+2+12+5(slop)= 71 year alone + 104(help)= 175

71/52 = 1,3--/ 40 hrs= 34 hr shooting 40 hrs alone.

175/52= 3.36-/ 40hrs= 84 hr shooting 40 hrs 2 pros in the office booking up 40 hrs.