How many photos can I take?

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just wondering how many photos I can take with a D50 before the shutter breaks? I have had it for about 9 months and have taken about 6500 photos. I just realized maybe I should sow down because I dont want to have to buy a new camera every year.

I don't know what the shutter is rated to. Probably 10k, but that just means that it's never been tested beyond that. It could last to 100k. You never know.

The D50 is new enough that I doubt anyone has had their shutter die yet to give a definitive answer, but I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it was rated for 25K actuations.

Not bad... Although if my camera were to die it would give me a good reason to upgrade... Although having an extra 1000 to 1700 in my pocket doesnt hurt

it takes alot. so much that you usually don't have to worry about it. i want to say in the 100k range, but that might be a decimal place off :)

Even if the shutter does wear out...it probably wouldn't cost more than a few hundred for shipping, parts and labor to replace the shutter. If you are concerned about it...you could service the shutter on a regular basis (basically make sure the lubricant is adequate).

From my esperience with repairs it seems Nikon has to all of them or at leats the camera needs to be shipped somewhere to be fixed. I do not like the idea of not having my camera for 3-4 weeks, although I guess its better to not have it for 3-4 weeks than have it at all. Do any camera shops do shutter work in house?

According to the Nikon website the battery is good for around 2000 shots (yes...2 thousand)

I'm pretty certain Canon claims actuations towards 100k for most SLRs and 200k for the 1series.

Taking the above into consideration i'd guess that 10k shots is way out....only 5 charges and the camera is dead??...can't see it being that low.

I'd reckon the number would be closer to the 100k that Canon claims for cameras in a similar price bracket.

If i had any SLR and it only lasted 10k images (just over a year's use for me) then i'd back to the shop with it and my receipt.

i think at 6500 you're safe for a long time yet!!
:D

Even assuming no flash use, 2000 is a bit absurd. I've never done accurate measurements, and I never drain my battery to the point of completely dead (I usually take 50-100 shots on the last bar and then throw in my spare), but I'd guess I get 800-1000 shots with an AF-S lens and no flash and less when I use a regular screwdriver AF lens and/or flash.

When did anyone say anything about the battery? He's talking about the shutter life.

When Canon introduced the Digital Rebel, its shutter was rated to 10K actuations. Many people went over that in less than a year. I'm sure that current models are rated higher, but I doubt all the way to 100k. That's not saying that they won't, or can't last to 100k and beyond. Quality control is an issue here, and none of the companies are putting top dollar into the shutters of $800 cameras. If you google around, you'll see lots of forum posts of people's D50 shutters dying at 10-14k, and lots of people saying they are rated to 40 or 50k.

If you take a lot of photos everyday, it might become an issue. The bigger issue you face is, wanting or needing to upgrade to something more expensive, long before the D50 breaks :p

Matt

i mentioned the battery life to show that the camera will surely last more than 5 charges of the battery before the shutter goes pop. For the shutter to last for only 5 charges is a level of reliability that no-one would accept.
I also browsed another forum.....i know..i'm sorry!!....but one guy there quoted 53k for a 20d less than a year old.

Canon 5d quoted as 100k actuations

1Ds MKII quoted as 200k actuations

Like i said earlier......i'd be looking for close to 6 figures on my actuations before the shutter failed

Darich,

Those two cameras you mentioned are $3k and $8k cameras. Of course they are rated at 6 figure actuations. The 20D is nearly twice the price of the D50 new. I would also expect it to be more reliable. The D50 is $800. I don't think anyone can realisticly expect the same level of quality and reliability.

Not everyone runs their battery down to empty before charging everytime. You might charge the battery 50 times before hitting 10k shots.

Digital Matt said:
Darich,

Those two cameras you mentioned are $3k and $8k cameras. Of course they are rated at 6 figure actuations. The 20D is nearly twice the price of the D50 new. I would also expect it to be more reliable. The D50 is $800. I don't think anyone can realisticly expect the same level of quality and reliability.

Not everyone runs their battery down to empty before charging everytime. You might charge the battery 50 times before hitting 10k shots.

Matt

going slightly off topic but the 20D is "only" $1050 at B&H and the 5D a "mere" $2800 at the same store.
Both cameras are significantly different in terms of quality but i'd be surprised if there was the same huge difference in quality of shutter - could it even be the same shutter in each one? That way Canon don't have to develop several shutters for their entire range.:D

10,000? That seems pretty rediculous. I shoot around 400 pictures a day when I'm concentrating on taking photos... Even conservitively, that would mean that the camera would be gone within half a year....

Most reactions

Back