How much Photoshop is too much?

You know this sinks to the level of which is better digital or film. I'm not sure there is a 'one size fits all' answer. Surely every opinion voiced was sincere and what more can anyone ask.

No two of us see an image the same way, why should we have the same rules of creation. I doubt that anyone changed their minds here because someone else sold a picture with or without photoshopping it.

Being able to sell pictures with or without photo shop is a good thing, but I don't think it is the only judge of a photo's worth. This comes from a man who made a living in this business for thirty plus years. I think you have to be proud of your work under your own rules. You are or should be your own worst critique and the hardest person to please.

That said, I use a clone of photoshop but I do with it what I always did in a wet darkroom, seldom more. But if I have to produce a shot of my grandson for my wife, I have no problem running it through photoshop to enhance it. For me that is like commercial work. It is 'you better produce or I'll kill you' type work.

I don't use a lot of photo enhancement on my own work for show or just to stick here, because I personally take pride in what I do and how I do it. That does NOT make me inferior to graphic design people, nor does it make me supoerior. It makes me proud of what I do, just as I'm sure they are proud of what they do.

I don't expect you to run out tomorrow and build a camera to shoot paper negatives and I take no offense that you don't want to. Don't take offense at the fact I'm proud that I don't really need a lot of photoshop features. (note please i did not say tricks)...But I also realize that I don't produce 'slick' images.... To be honest I find more and more that Photography is like a political party it takes a big tent to make it work.

Bottom line 'To each his own' but I certainly would encourage everyone to voice their opinions about anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back