How often should i clean?

Do'Urden's Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
No matter how freakin' careful i am some how my sensor has seemed to accumulate dust. this is obviously really annoying because they appear in all my shots. yes i do have dust delete data and i up date it quite often but that doesnt do it for me. is it worth it investing in a sensor cleaning unit? be it one of those small pen-like things or a full 300 dollar kit? you guys ever use them?

Thanks

i guess its late for you all because it is for me... answer me in the morning.

First I use the blower, in my case a Giotto Rocket because I am a sucker for cool design, but any blower will do. That usually dislodges 75% of all dust.

Second: I use the Arctic Butterfly. It's pretty straight-forward, read the manual. This will get another 15%.

Third: If you have actual spots on your sensor, you're going to want to use the sensor cleaning fluid with the appropriate swab. Again, Visible Dust has (in my mind) the best product. Check out their bundled offers. In my case, I get spots on the sensor by changing lenses in hot and muggy climates. If you suddenly find yourself in an air-conditioned environment, you might get condensation spots.

This is not a big deal. You will need to learn to do this, regardless of what kind of anti-dirt technology is being developed.

you should clean anytime you have annoying dust bunnies in your small aperture images.

I use a speckgrabber, which seems not very popular on here ... maybe because cleaning the sensor takes a bit longer and you need to concentrate. But it is very cheap, and I did it in Restaurants, bedrooms, in any sort of climate, in cars and in tents. Works like a charm for me.

LaFoto can witness the process and she seemed happy with what I did to her camera with my speckgrabber ;)

Oh yes, not only could I witness and was happy later, but I also want to schedule a new session, please! (It is very, very necessary!)

Oh yes, not only could I witness and was happy later, but I also want to schedule a new session, please! (It is very, very necessary!)

Hmmm, not that I am unwilling to do it, but there must be a meet-up somehow. And that is currently rather difficult with my move end of the week and all.

Also, you have to learn to do it yourself, and the speckgrabber it the basic version costs much less than the ice cream I had in .. what was the name of that town? ;)

(oh, and it only took so long, since I had to remove several layers of dust ;) hope it is not that bad by now ;) )

It is back to being that bad... :( :oops: :(
We have to move someone not this coming weekend but the weekend after that, so the PS cloning tool is my friend for the time being, but eventually ... somewhere, somehow ... you and I (ahem) might meet again? So you can use YOUR speckgrabber on MY dust?

thanks you guys. im definately going to pick up one of those rockets. there only about 20 dollars here, and if Iron suggests it cleans 75% of the dust then thats definately worth it. ill buy the arctic butterfly (as a few sites claim its one of the best of its kind) soon.

Most reactions

Back