how sealed is weather sealed ? on a d7000

Rain certainly doesnt have anything to do with underwater.

Rain doesnt apply PRESSURE.

I would still always try to keep a D7000 as dry as possible. Especially before exchanging lenses, changing batteries etc.

Depth has nothing to do with being water proof.....the seals that "break" are broken because of pressure not the water. If you take a balloon and fill it with water and put it under water it is water proof because can't not get it. Now if you take that balloon and force it underwater to "crush" depths then it will burst, not because it's not water proof but because of the extreme pressure. [...]
For the record, that balloon will NEVER burst. It will simply get smaller and smaller, because the air in the balloon will get more and more compressed. However the pressure from the water and the pressure from the air will be exactly the same.

The Hubble telescope is also seal tight not allowing any space dust in to affect the lens, unless a outside force acts against it breaking whatever seal that's seals it.
There is no such thing as "space dust" that the Hubble telescope needs to be sealed against.

If we talk about dust in space, we talk about extremely large volumes (many lightyears across) that have a couple atoms per cubic meter in them, most of them hydrogen and helium.

Even such dust cant exist where the hubble space telescope is. There is still some remains of atmosphere there. Basically anything that could potentially be "space dust" will be deaccelerated enough over time to fall down to earth.

I was just giving and example of what the Hubble could be sealed against. There surely has to be some sort of dust or sand from space rocks, comets, astriods or something right? I could be wrong however.

It made plenty of sense. Perhaps you should read more and educate yourself. Sure, a submarine is waterproof... up to a certain depth. As is a dive watch and, wait for it, the camera's that KmH pointed out. And here's a hint... it's not because they crush at that shallow depth, it's because the SEALS can't withstand the PRESSURE at greater depths and they begin to leak.

"lol"... yeah, at your ignorance.

Depth has nothing to do with being water proof.....the seals that "break" are broken because of pressure not the water.

Ok, serious question... what the hell do you think causes the pressure?!?!

Somehow this is always appropriate in this forum:

Hmmmmmm let me guess....gravity. And that is the outside force acting on it. If that same submarine was in safe waters where pressuse wasnt a factor then it would continue to be 100% proof so as long as another factor doesnt interrupt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok let me clarify what I meant earlier....there is no 100% water proof dslr or interchable lens camera. That is why they make and sell those underwater rigs for. Water will and can get in thought the lens mounts.

If it is a special made camera just for underwater media then it's different.

I was just giving and example of what the Hubble could be sealed against. There surely has to be some sort of dust or sand from space rocks, comets, astriods or something right? I could be wrong however.
Yes, you are very wrong, and I thought I already explained why.

The space telescope is a satelite of the planet earth. That means it travels, at a height of over 500 km above ground, at a speed of about 7.5 kilometer per second. Much faster than the fastest of bullets.

At the same time, theres still some remains of atmosphere present. Thus any object cant stay in this orbit for more than a couple decades. It will be slowed down and fall to earth.

So no "sand" whereever natural origin could possibly stay at this place.

And anything that is NOT exactly in the same orbit has other problems attached. It would hit the space telescope harder than any bullet.

mjhoward said:
It made plenty of sense. Perhaps you should read more and educate yourself. Sure, a submarine is waterproof... up to a certain depth. As is a dive watch and, wait for it, the camera's that KmH pointed out. And here's a hint... it's not because they crush at that shallow depth, it's because the SEALS can't withstand the PRESSURE at greater depths and they begin to leak.

Ummmm... as someone who actually wears submariner's dolphins, I'd say quit while you're ahead! ;)

thanks for replying, good to know it can take some rain but mines probably won't

oh and sorry guys I din't meant to cause WWIII, that's said the conversion is very interesting so don't mind me. :)

thanks for replying, good to know it can take some rain but mines probably won't

oh and sorry guys I din't meant to cause WWIII, that's said the conversion is very interesting so don't mind me. :)

Haha, this is nothing, you should check out the 'sling strap' thread that got locked recently! This kind of thing is pretty common here.

Yes, you are very wrong, and I thought I already explained why.

The space telescope is a satelite of the planet earth. That means it travels, at a height of over 500 km above ground, at a speed of about 7.5 kilometer per second. Much faster than the fastest of bullets.

At the same time, theres still some remains of atmosphere present. Thus any object cant stay in this orbit for more than a couple decades. It will be slowed down and fall to earth.

So no "sand" whereever natural origin could possibly stay at this place.

And anything that is NOT exactly in the same orbit has other problems attached. It would hit the space telescope harder than any bullet.

you must be one of them scientists

mjhoward said:

Ummmm... as someone who actually wears submariner's dolphins, I'd say quit while you're ahead! ;)

I am def no expert either but I thought the pure pressure/weight of the water above and around the sub would simply crush the sub in a fraction of a second.

I'd worry the most where the lens is attached to the camera body. Unless there is an o-ring gasket in the attachment point, it can't be too water resistant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back