How the hell do I get my CPL to work :S

UUilliam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay do Got my CPL
But all the images seem the exact same, no matter what way I turn the CPL

Well, where are you shooting? It won't do much indoors (except maybe with reflections), but bring it outdoors and you should see major changes as you rotate it.

Well, where are you shooting? It won't do much indoors (except maybe with reflections), but bring it outdoors and you should see major changes as you rotate it.
It was outdoor.

I focused on trees and then shoot then turned the angle, shoot, turned angle, shoot

all of them came out the same.

sky was visible in the shot btw..

You do no need to shoot anything to see the CP work. You should see the effect as you rotate it. If you don't, it's because you are not at the right angle to the light. Just read a couple articles on CPs and you'll get it.

Yup, it works best when you are shooting perpendicular to the sun's rays...and practically not at all when you are parallel to them.

Just found this ... might help you

Last edited by a moderator:
The things the CPL should make a difference to:
1) Reflections on glass
2) Reflections of sunlight on water
3) Blue sky (most effect at 90 degrees to the sun in the sky)
You'll need to rotate the CPL to see this effect, which you should see clearly through the viewfinder.

Shooting anything else (and on overcast days), it's unlikely you'll notice any effect whatsoever.

A CPL will even have an effect on overcast days, since the haze (polarized light) is still present. The 90° from the sun aspect really is for the sky only.

Focus, hold the focus from moving, rotate the outter ring of the CPL until you see the effect you want, then take the shot.

it is a very minute effect it seems, but I did see it work (done it in my mirror and removed a highlight on the reflection.

anyone ever find their blue skies becoming far too dark when the polarizer has been adjusted to provide the darkest sky? Hard to tell in camera, but when viewing on a computer it's obvious, and difficult to get a normal looking sky back...

If normal looking sky is the purpose then why use a polariser? Also the effect is variable with angle so why not turn it slightly to lessen the effect (unless that is the sky is not the subject you're trying to polarise).

Also the effect on overcast days is very very very negligible. To the point that I never even bother taking a polariser with me as often the result is only a 1 stop loss in light. On a sunny day you should see an amazing difference when you're not shooting into the sun. Try using it around 10am or 2pm on a sunny day.

Try it on the LCD monitor, you should see the effect right away.

If normal looking sky is the purpose then why use a polariser?
Because most sensors will overexpose the sky to white or near-white when the subject is properly exposed. A CPL can compensate by darkening the part of the sky behind your subject. It's not always possible or desirable to do post-processing HDR.

it is a very minute effect it seems, but I did see it work (done it in my mirror and removed a highlight on the reflection.
What brand/model of filter are you using? That could make a difference.

Because most sensors will overexpose the sky to white or near-white when the subject is properly exposed. A CPL can compensate by darkening the part of the sky behind your subject. It's not always possible or desirable to do post-processing HDR.

No, what I meant by normal is overexposed near-white effect. If you want that "normal" sky then don't use a polariser. If you want something in between then only turn it 45 degrees.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back