How to achieve this effect?

None of the water in the original picture is in a position to do any reflecting, because it's all breaking waves, froth, and spray. There was probably visible water on-site, but every inch of the "wet" area was eventually covered by multiple instances of spray/foam/breaker. This is why it looks like fog. That's 10-30 seconds of spray. This is why it's white.

Sparky wasn't talking about about the blue stuff in the fountain, he's talking about the fountains themselves. Each one is rendered as a foggy little phallic shape. That's what spray/foam does when you give it a few seconds of exposure.

The foggy whiteness comes from the fact that the water was rough and/or waves were crashing in on the rocks. The rougher it is and the higher the waves, the more of the fog effect you will get and it will appear higher. To a point though, as some point you can't shoot that close to the roughwater.

No post processing necessary here, other than the basic stuff. But definitely a grad ND was used.

A polarizing filter was used in this shot, that's why there was no reflection of the sky plus graduated filter to get the right exposure on the water and sky.

I am not so sure a polarizer was used, but def a grad nd to get the overexposure on the water. I would be willing to bet a -10nd big stopper was used as well, and that this was taken in some fairly bright conditions.

Edit: oh yeah, 300 sec exposure, big stopper (or similar) for sure. This is a well executed photo but not easy, not even close. On shots like these, I find that you take your best shot and don't usually get exactly what you expect, sometimes it flops, sometimes it works. Here is one I took with a 10 stop and a circ polarizer.

$blue sky streaks.JPG

Anyone bother to read the words?

Details

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Focal Length 24mm
Shutter Speed
300 secs
Aperture f/18
ISO/Film 100

Anyone bother to read the words?

Details

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Focal Length 24mm
Shutter Speed
300 secs
Aperture f/18
ISO/Film 100

was literally just about to mention this...

I do also believe there is subtle post processing via Lightroom, Selective shades + colour balancing

some point you can't shoot that close to the roughwater.
If it was so white cause of the waves I wonder how the photographer managed to shoot so close to the rocks and water for 5 minutes without screwing his camera. I have seen really wild seas but never seen them turn so white even at the horizon level. In the foreground yes, but not all the way into the horizon line.

It obviously wasn't too rough to shoot, I have taken photos in rough water and had waves reaching up to about 2 feet below the base of my camera.... on tripod of course, me standing in the water by the camera. And the water isn't white, it is over exposed. It will tend to do that on a long exposure, especially if you darken the sky with a ND filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back