How To Answer Fauxtog Friend When They Ask If I Like Their Photos

Sonata63

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone!
So here's the scenario. I have this friend who has recently decided that she is a photographer too. Her pictures are absolutely awful. Like some of the worst I've ever seen. I'm really worried that she's soon going to ask me what I think of her photos. Especially now since she just did a baby photo shoot and had asked me several times for tips and suggestions before she did it. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I'm not the type of person that can lie (even little white lies). I don't think I can even use the sandwich technique (where you start with a compliment, give a critique, and then end with another compliment). I can't find anything good about her pictures. Everything is all wrong. Composition, lighting, editing, focus.
If she were to ask me, how can I answer her while sparing her feelings and maintain the friendship?

Well, let's see your photos first -- might give folks a better idea how to advise you :)

Joe

This is basic instructional technique. Don't tell the person what they've done wrong, simply tell them what they can [in your opinion] do to improve them. In other words, you wouldn't say, "Your horizon's all cockeyed." rather, you'd say, "If you were to level the image in post, it would have a much more natural appearance." If (when?) she asks if you like the pictures, answer with something like, "You're off to a good start."

I don't beat about the bush and would tell her they are awful
I think a better approach might be to offer some suggestions for improvement, especially if this is an actual friend. There's really no reason you would have to sacrifice friendship in order to help your friends photography, if that Is your intent.

"brutal honesty" is just a common buzzword for "this is how I justify being a dick"

I don't know how people overseas do it, but in more civilized countries like the United States, we operate with a moderate semblance of tact and civility.

If she were to ask me, how can I answer her while sparing her feelings and maintain the friendship?
If you can't find anything to compliment, tell her what you would have done differently. If she is a good friend, she will take your suggestions and become better.

Start by pointing out what is right/good in the images. Even if it's 'just' exposure, focus, etc.

My coworker said her husband is a "phenomenal; i mean amazing photographer" so I asked to see his pictures. Once shown, I said: no he's not, but the kid in the pictures is pretty cute.

All very good advice. Well....except maybe one or two

Simple - stop thinking of your friend as a fauxographer and think of them as a friend. As soon as you start to describe them and think of them in a term which is used as a derisory label you'll negatively colour how you act and behave toward them.

I don't beat about the bush and would tell her they are awful
I think a better approach might be to offer some suggestions for improvement, especially if this is an actual friend. There's really no reason you would have to sacrifice friendship in order to help your friends photography, if that Is your intent.

"brutal honesty" is just a common buzzword for "this is how I justify being a dick"

I don't know how people overseas do it, but in more civilized countries like the United States, we operate with a moderate semblance of tact and civility.

Where in the US do you live? I want to move there immediately. If there is one thing that has disappeared in the last 50years from this country it is tact & civility!

If she ASKS for critique, you can point her to TPF as a great place to get impartial feedback from pros and hobbyists. If she doesn't ask, don't offer advice or opinions.

Tell her you don't feel qualified (you will have to tell a small lie) to give her feedback and suggest she find a website with people who can give her the feedback she wants.. Suggest this place.

Yes, tell her you found a nice web site for photographers and direct her to here.

Tell her you don't feel qualified (you will have to tell a small lie) to give her feedback and suggest she find a website with people who can give her the feedback she wants.. Suggest this place.

Yes, tell her you found a nice web site for photographers and direct her to here.
But make sure you don't tell her your sn, or ask the mods to delete this thread before s/he know they were called a fouxtographer.

Most reactions

Back