How to blow up your speed light

A different button-pushing sequence will activate the IR mode, and only IR will be emitted, in the so-called 1-4 bandwidth. I've been asked to keep the sequence a secret, but if you guys promise not to tell anyone else I'll post it here - but you have to ask before noon today.

Best,
Helen

A different button-pushing sequence will activate the IR mode, and only IR will be emitted, in the so-called 1-4 bandwidth. I've been asked to keep the sequence a secret, but if you guys promise not to tell anyone else I'll post it here - but you have to ask before noon today.

Best,
Helen

Like the IR focus assist beam? There's a custom function in Canon cameras to do that.

And now, the Speedlite is no longer a Speedlite.

Like the IR focus assist beam? There's a custom function in Canon cameras to do that.

No, it works with the main flash tube, and it works just as well as the Ws boosting system mentioned in Strobist article. The mesotrons in the plasmatic ectozone of the flash tube are aligned with the pro-futons*, and thus all the radiation is emitted in the BS 1-4 band. It's a well-known phenomenon.

Best,
Helen

* As an aside, I personally discovered the pro-futon. Just thought I'd let you know that. It was under a pile of dirty laundry.

This all soundslike an april fools joke to me

No, it works with the main flash tube, and it works just as well as the Ws boosting system mentioned in Strobist article. The mesotrons in the plasmatic ectozone of the flash tube are aligned with the pro-futons*, and thus all the radiation is emitted in the BS 1-4 band. It's a well-known phenomenon.

Best,
Helen

* As an aside, I personally discovered the pro-futon. Just thought I'd let you know that. It was under a pile of dirty laundry.

:wav:

"This all soundslike an april fools joke to me"

Surely not?

If you wanted to double the output of an electronic flashgun you would have to quadruple the voltage across the capacitor. That's not possible by simply 'charging twice' as described in the excellent Strobist spoof.

Best,
Helen

"This all soundslike an april fools joke to me"

Surely not?

If you wanted to double the output of an electronic flashgun you would have to quadruple the voltage across the capacitor. That's not possible by simply 'charging twice' as described in the excellent Strobist spoof.

Best,
Helen

Sounds like my son when he's using the oven... Doubling the temperature means the food will cook in half the time!

Yeah, just be careful with this. It is no joke and you can hurt yourself as well as destroy your flash. Pushing your flash outside of its operating limits is not a good idea. See Dave's comment there.

Helen?

I claim dibs. I invented the pro-futon, years ago. Mine had to do with mattresses, though, not photography. See, the spondo-ligamental array in the lower back is frequently subjected to adverse curvature on regular mattresses - specifically in the thoracolumbar fascia - resulting in symptoms mimicking spondylitis and causing delamination of the lower thoracic regions of the spinous process. By using compacted non-organic materials which simulate helical-conical compression on a micrometric scale following the gravitational plane in futon-like mattress applications, the vertical (horizontal if prone or supine) axis of spinal curvature can be consistently controlled without additional devices such as pneumatic inflation or expensive memory foam products.

Thus, the Pro-Futon. I will have my lawyers contact your lawyers as appropriate :wink:.

Cheers!

As for the flash hack? I just dropped my children's college fund on equipment, and these 580's have to last me roughly an eternity. I will gently kiss them and put them to sleep after each (appropriate, non-overclocked) use...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back