How to fix a knife

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a beginner and pretty much like this photo except for the knife.

Any ideas on how to fix it, or improve it?

I have PS and LR

Thanks.
knife.jpg

Last edited:
You could try the CA tool in lightroom, as it looks like there's a bit on the knife. The only other thing I can think of is painstakeingly rebuild the blade with the clone tool.

The knife, as you can see, is getting a direct reflection from the light source to the camera.
Per your Light, Science & Magic book .. make sure the reflection is not direct.

So I think it was briefly mentioned but "Reshoot it. Use some Blu Tac or similar to place the blade on a slight angle."

This is where more diffusion and less direct lighting, the better.

As others have said: avoid such a reflection.

But why do you have a knife in there anyway ? Neither of these foods requires a knife. It doesnt belong there.

Also, I wouldnt use a tablecloth that kind of looks like carpet. Or, worse, use actual carpet, a possibility I canno rule out.

That whole corner is dark. Reshoot with the knife either gone or angled to stop the reflections sounds like the best idea so far. Obviously you can fix it with Photoshop. The bright knife also makes the vegetable in the bowl look way too dark.

You seem to have a ring of the same issues, you fix and then another old issue pops back up.

As others have said: avoid such a reflection.

But why do you have a knife in there anyway ? Neither of these foods requires a knife. It doesnt belong there.

Also, I wouldnt use a tablecloth that kind of looks like carpet. Or, worse, use actual carpet, a possibility I canno rule out.

Europeans and many others eat with a knife and fork.

Mamy even eat a hamburger in the bun and pizza with a knife and fork.

And cutting up the food with a knife and fork and then switching the fork to the right hand is only done in the US I believe.

;-)

And cutting up the food with a knife and fork and then switching the fork to the right hand is only done in the US I believe.

;-)
I eat pizza etc with a knife and a fork.
I also don't switch utensils to my opposite hand. I always wondered why until I saw some Austin Powers etiquette thing .. or maybe it was something else. LOL
I can also eat/cut with either hand.

I still think you should flash up more and have it reflect down.
I was thinking of making an example like this. Except I ate the salad first already :aiwebs_016:

;-)
I also don't switch utensils to my opposite hand. I always wondered why until I saw some Austin Powers etiquette thing .. or maybe it was something else. LOL

I was thinking of making an example like this. Except I ate the salad first already :aiwebs_016:

Well I don't have a flash but will try pointing the softbox up more.

Thanks and am glad that you took my comment in the way that it was intended ;-)

I am also ambidextrous, can read music and have a good ear but never managed to learn guitar even though I had several good teachers.

Musicians told me that instead of practicing 40 minutes a day that one needs to practice 3-4 hours a day and that was most likely my problem.

I am also ambidextrous, can read music and have a good ear but never managed to learn guitar even though I had several good teachers.

Musicians told me that instead of practicing 40 minutes a day that one needs to practice 3-4 hours a day and that was most likely my problem.[/QUOTE]
When I was young I used to practice saxophone 3-4 hours per day. I progressed really well and as a freshman in college was outperforming Juniors.
I was also as well adept at clarinet taking 1st chair in one of the bands in my first tryout on clarinet. I was also a celloist, and could play brass (french horn) really well, as well as some percussion.
But I could never muster the guitar. Now I've been trying to learn guitar only practicing a few hours here and there. Slowly progressing ... slowly. Amazing how different one uses the knowledge from other instruments to guitar. Even though chords on piano is no problem, on the guitar it's another story and way of thinking.

I actually did have a greek salad. For an example, I was going to hold a white board above and flash up with a remote trigger in my hand and everything else stationary. But I was so hungry I ate it without thinking.

Musicians told me that instead of practicing 40 minutes a day that one needs to practice 3-4 hours a day and that was most likely my problem.
When I was young I used to practice saxophone 3-4 hours per day. I progressed really well and as a freshman in college was outperforming Juniors.
I was also as well adept at clarinet taking 1st chair in one of the bands in my first tryout on clarinet. I was also a celloist, and could play brass (french horn) really well, as well as some percussion.
But I could never muster the guitar. Now I've been trying to learn guitar only practicing a few hours here and there. Slowly progressing ... slowly. Amazing how different one uses the knowledge from other instruments to guitar. Even though chords on piano is no problem, on the guitar it's another story and way of thinking.

I actually did have a greek salad. For an example, I was going to hold a white board above and flash up with a remote trigger in my hand and everything else stationary. But I was so hungry I ate it without thinking.[/QUOTE]

My problem was not being able to change chords fast enough which is where the practice really comes in.

Well done with the saxophone !

I worked on the knife but couldn't
beet salad.jpg
get it to look like the fork.

So as suggested.

Reshoot and use blue tack to angle the knife.

Thanks everybody.

Keep in mind the fork is a curve, but at the bottom of the curve you can see a direct reflection.
The bluetac (or anything small [spitwad etc]) put at the edge of the knife & fork to angle the flat surfaces away from a direct reflection to the sensor.

Keep in mind the fork is a curve, but at the bottom of the curve you can see a direct reflection.
The bluetac (or anything small [spitwad etc]) put at the edge of the knife & fork to angle the flat surfaces away from a direct reflection to the sensor.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back