how to get promoted?

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by tissa, Mar 1, 2010.

1. tissa

tissa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I do not know if it is the right forum, but I think it is. So the thing is that I have a friend of mine who is very very talented professional photographer. Here I have to mention that I am NOT a professional photographer and I do not know much about commercial photography or working for $$$, BUT I have many friends who photograph and who are professionals and work for money and they ALL Say that the guy I am talking about is really really good and that they have a long way to lear how to do what he does. So just to let you know that it is not just my opinion that he is a pro and is a very talented one. Anyways the only problem is that somehow this guy can not get offers! His photos look expensive and are really good but somehow he doesn't have clients. My question is: how did you all get promoted and what are the MUST DOs to become known and to get offers? How can me and his other friends help him, because he really does worth trying to help him?

Thank you all!

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need to be a master at wizardry and the dark arts.

3. jennyjen

jennyjen TPF Noob!

There's a lot of ways. But those ways can not be shared on a site like this. [​IMG]

4. tissa

tissa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    jennyjen - you can share those ways with me using private messaging

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Running a photography business and being a good photographer are not the same thing. I know a few photographers who do average work but run successfull businesses. Why? They are simply great businessmen and women.

You have to learn about marketing yourself, how to create a brand, have a pressance out on the market. You have to ensure your prices aren't too high and aren't too low for the work you are putting out there. You have to learn how to network and build the right contacts. You have to provide a solid product, not just the end product but the entire experience of dealing with you.

I'd suggest your friend take a few marketing or small business classes to learn how to promote his business.

6. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The other approach is to work for a company or organization in their media or public relations department. The advantage is that you usually have the freedom to do a wide range of photography while building up your portfolio and your reputation through your work. You are getting paid on a regular basis and also getting asked to do corporate portraits, weddings and other special events at private rates by individuals. You don't have to market yourself because people come to you, based on seeing your corporate business work. You may even be approached by other businesses to do a project for them.

skieur

7. tissa

tissa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you very much for your advice! I will show my friend your answers and I hope it will help! Thank you again!

8. coreduo

coreduo TPF Noob!

Advertise in a photography magazine with your enticing picture, email, website...costs 150 dollars, 1/4 page. That is what I intend to do once I set up my website...black and white photography magazine..

9. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My only problem with doing this, is that aren't most of the people reading a photography magazine photographers? Assuming yes, then what use do they have for your services? Just a thought, what does everyone else think?

10. SusanMart

SusanMart TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well, first of all you have to be a professional, or close to it. so that not be blush after your photo session is done))lol

and second of all - get a website. and just promote it!
    online business is a really good idea today. You will not only promote yourself but also sell pics and offer a range of different activities.

Look at this DESIGNS of Photography.bz

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm with bigtwinky. He summed it it pretty good.

A talented photographer that lacks business and people skills won't be able to make a living from photography.

12. LearnMyShot

LearnMyShot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit