How to get that "stock photo" look.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by OrangeCat, Sep 9, 2007.

1. OrangeCat

OrangeCat TPF Noob!

I need to get some clear, high quality shots of dog collars for my business, and I'm hoping for some tips on how to get that 'stock photo' look.

I will probably have to clip out the collars in photoshop and put them on a white background if that makes any difference.

I realize this is a pretty basic question, but I hope ya'll will humor me. I'm just getting the hang of this and really want these pics to turn out great. I'm sure there's more to it than just point and click like I normally do with my regular everyday pictures.

2. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Good lighting and a nice sharp prime will be a help. There's a lot more to it than pointing and clicking. Watch where you cast the shadows.

3. OrangeCat

OrangeCat TPF Noob!

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on what to use for a background? Is there certain background types that would make it easier to get a clean clip of the collars in photoshop? Or would it not really matter?

In terms of lighting would natural light from a window be okay?(assuming it's a bright day)

Total newbie here, and I'm sure it's showing, but thanks for the help! :)

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Look for a lightbox.

5. phakimata

phakimata TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stock images have many looks. The easiest way to get that general look is by using a plain and light colored back ground, and you can use a flash that bounces of the ceiling in order to prevent harsh shades. In addition you can use a fill in reflector (this can be a cheap piece of foam-board = $1/piece)

You can check the images I have in my stock portfolio here: http://www.dreamstime.com/resp288114

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

7. HaydenS

HaydenS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +1 on getting a lightbox -- if you can pick up the latest issue of shutterbug this will help you a lot.

it's all about lighting etc. and there's an article on shooting commercial products and how to do it.

8. Also, you can shoot them on a white pillow case. There's you're white background right there...

9. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Iron's idea is a good one, unless someone has a problem with your using them. ;)

You can also use white butchers paper or get a couple/3 of sheets of white foam core poster board and tape a bottom, back and 2 sides to make a quick light box.