How to get that "stock photo" look.

OrangeCat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need to get some clear, high quality shots of dog collars for my business, and I'm hoping for some tips on how to get that 'stock photo' look.

I will probably have to clip out the collars in photoshop and put them on a white background if that makes any difference.

I realize this is a pretty basic question, but I hope ya'll will humor me. I'm just getting the hang of this and really want these pics to turn out great. I'm sure there's more to it than just point and click like I normally do with my regular everyday pictures.

Good lighting and a nice sharp prime will be a help. There's a lot more to it than pointing and clicking. Watch where you cast the shadows.

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on what to use for a background? Is there certain background types that would make it easier to get a clean clip of the collars in photoshop? Or would it not really matter?

In terms of lighting would natural light from a window be okay?(assuming it's a bright day)

Total newbie here, and I'm sure it's showing, but thanks for the help! :)

Look for a lightbox.

Stock images have many looks. The easiest way to get that general look is by using a plain and light colored back ground, and you can use a flash that bounces of the ceiling in order to prevent harsh shades. In addition you can use a fill in reflector (this can be a cheap piece of foam-board = $1/piece)

You can check the images I have in my stock portfolio here: http://www.dreamstime.com/resp288114

+1 on getting a lightbox -- if you can pick up the latest issue of shutterbug this will help you a lot.

it's all about lighting etc. and there's an article on shooting commercial products and how to do it.

Also, you can shoot them on a white pillow case. There's you're white background right there...

Iron's idea is a good one, unless someone has a problem with your using them. ;)

You can also use white butchers paper or get a couple/3 of sheets of white foam core poster board and tape a bottom, back and 2 sides to make a quick light box.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back