how to handle DSLR in long trekks?

skyakash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I have planned for a trek to Har ki doon, India, from may 9 to may 23 this year. I will be carrying a D3300 with the kit 18-55 mm lens. now I have some questions on the batteries.
For the better part of the trip, that is 8 days, there will be no electricity to charge the batteries . i will carry one additional battery. Can you guys give any tips on how to handle batteries in cold? the temperature will be close to 10-15 centigrade in the day and about -5 to 5 in the nights.

Keep them warm; store them in an inside pocket as close to your body as possible. Their capacity will appear to be reduced due to the lower temperatures, but chances are, if you warm the battery up for a while, it will "recover" some of its charge.

bridge the power and ground, that'll keep um warm.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Take your pick, none are cheap but the do work. Solar Chargers for Digital Cameras
apparently they don't ship to india and i dont have that kind of budget option now. can u suggest anything else?
Sadly no. We have one of the slightly smaller versions for camping purposes, the 6w version. We use it for phones and camera batteries. They are expensive. You might check around in India and see what is available in your part of the world. Not knowing where you were from I posted to the company I was aware of here.

Keep your batteries under your jacket. There are some backpacks that have a solar panel charger integrated in the them. Check them out.

okay. tell me something, how much 2 batteries will last in terms of shots, in a d3300?

Not long I would have thought. I've a different system, but I know from experience that I can go through 2 OEM batteries per day ehen there is a lot to shoot and I don't use the LCD screen very much and I'm pretty good at turning off to conserve power and not chimping too much. I did manage to use 1 battery over two days when I had a charger malfunction at a workshop, but I turned off the LCD screen and just shot it like it was film, no chimping, no live view and I'd take my time and shoot one shot per location and I was pretty picky about what shots I'd even bother turning the camera on for.

I'd seriously take as many batteries as I could on that trip. Like at least 1 battery per day. But then I do have 5 batteries already ;) Oh, and only 2 of them are OEM. The off brand ones last about 70% of the OEM ones and loose their charge a bit quicker but they were a lot cheaper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back