How To: IR modify an old camera.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There's a lot of people who try to dab into IR photography time and time again. There's really only two options to produce fantastic IR results, shoot film, or shoot with a modified digital camera.

Digital sensors are HIGHLY sensitive to IR, so much so that there is a filter placed on the sensor that tries to block IR (called low-pass filter, or I've heard it referred to as a hot-mirror which IMO is a crap term). Putting an IR pass filter (high pass filter) on the lens like a Hoya R72 will then naturally cause problems as between the two filters you block most of the visible light. Additionally in some cases it's actually possible to get a reflection of the sensor on the IR filter leading to "hotspots" in the images.

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

So without further ado I present our victim for the day:

DSC_2838.jpg

The Olympus C-730 4mpx was a beast for many years. At the time it cost me more than any entry level DSLR. It features manual focus, complete manual, A S and Auto modes, as well as ... manual white balance. The only thing missing from this now is RAW, but since I'm not made of money this will have to do.

You'll need a #00 jewellers screwdriver to get the tiny screws out. Many manufactures will hide the screws in the battery compartments, under grips, and under the card cover, so open every door when looking for screws. Cameras are not iPods, they should come apart with no force once all relevant screws are removed.

DO NOT USE FORCE. Attached to the back cover will be a ribbon cable connecting electronics to the mainboards. These are incredibly easy to tear and nearly impossible to repair. At best pry the case open but never do anything that will result in suddenly opening more than 20mm or so should the case suddenly give way.

DSC_2843.jpg

See? That's what I'm talking about. Those little ribbon cables are connected to surface connectors held in place by a piece of plastic which compresses the connectors.

NOW WE STOP! Somewhere in this case is a 330V 230uF capacitor. Fully charged. Touching them the right way hurts like all hell. Touching them the wrong will can kill you. Accidentally shorting them out with something metal will cause an ungodly bang and melt the end of your screwdriver.

You can discharge the capacitor by putting a 1kohm resistor across the terminals. My standard resistor is glued to a paddlepop stick so I'm no where near it. Or you can proceed with extreme caution. I work with this crap on a daily basis so I'm going to proceed. If you're not confident find a friend who's doing electrical engineering and seek their help. Consider yourself warned :)

To remove the ribbon cables, using your screw driver very gently push those tabs away from the connector. Once both sides have slid out the cable should be free to move out.

Now we must remove the motherboard. Often the sensor will be on a daughter board connected by another ribbon cable behind it. Sometimes there's only one board in the camera. YMMV. Also again manufactures like to hide screws. Again remove the board carefully so to not tear any connections off from below. Again be careful, there's a capacitor in there somewhere.

DSC_2850.jpg

Told ya so. The big black thing is dangerous. Keep away. The big green thing is the sensor daughterboard (analogue to digital converter sits there too). I suggest you don't touch the board if you're working on carpet without an antistatic strap. Go find somewhere you can keep your feet on the ground, or go touch the kitchen tap.

One of those screws will often be an adjustment screw. The others hold the board in. The adjustment screw in this case is the red one on the top. Don't turn this as it'll pivot the sensor assembly and may throw off the focus on half the image. Now we remove the board, I left the ribbon cables intact and took care.

DSC_2856.jpg

There's our sensor and filter. The filter will be red, or green, or clear depending on the angle you're looking at. We need to remove this filter. Sometimes it's glued in place and will need a little force. In this case it was just sitting on a rubber grommet.

DSC_2862.jpg

Yeah I know it's a bit scratched, I used the wrong product, read on.
Now at this point many will be tempted to close the camera and call it a day. Not so. On a DSLR or a 4/3rds camera the light will optically hit the sensor nearly parallel. The low-pass filter will also be very thin. On most point and shoot cameras this filter will be significantly thicker, will almost be directly touching the rear element, and unfortunately may employ any manner of techniques that makes it part of the focusing system.

YMMV but I reassembled my camera and found that it wouldn't focus automatically nor manually unless it was zoomed in past the 8x mark. So I had to open the camera again.

The low-pass filter is actually just a coating. It's applied and baked under a vacuum like any coating on the front of your lens elements. This means if you scratch it hard enough you hit standard glass below :D

Find yourself a cutting compound for a final polish finish for things like a car. The key here is the polish should be FINE. If it feels like toothpaste it's too rough, if you can feel it at all it's too rough. It needs to feel like a gel paste. Additionally to cut down to the glass we need something harder than glass. Find a polish that is based around Aluminium Oxide swimming in petroleum distillate. I used AutoGlym Paint Renovator. But also suitable will be "AutoGlym bodyshop ultrafine abrasive 02B", or if you're loaded "3M Finesse-IT Finisher". Or ask your local car shop for something similar. Remember ultrafine, usually some polish that will follow a 2000 grit or finer sand.

Then we need something flat. I suggest a sheet of acrylic, but since I didn't have one I used a kenko filter. I wouldn't recommend glass on glass though. I do have some fine scratches in the filter as a result of the surface of the glass not being perfect. But in my defence it worked quite well.

DSC_2864.jpg

Now we rub, and rub, and rub, and rub, and break for coffee, and rub, and ... ad infinitum.

It took me more than an hour to get BOTH sides of the glass clear. The worst part is it's very difficult to see if the coating is off the top part of the glass if it's still on the bottom because the glass will reflect the green/red look regardless which side you look at it from. Anyway after a good hour of rubbing your glass should look like ... glass:

DSC_2872.jpg

Put it back:

DSC_2874.jpg

Box it up.

And go outside and push the button:

P1010022.jpg

Smile smugly.

Then post a how to on thephotoforum. :lol:

Just a tip this picture was taken through a Hoya R72 filter. The filter looks almost transparent to the camera now. The shutterspeed was insane. 1/800 at f/6.3 ISO64. Much better than the 15 seconds at f/4.5 ISO200 on the unmodified D200.

If you don't have a Hoya R72 filter to play with then you can put a couple of developed film leaders in it's place. You know the stuff with sprocket holes which comes from a lab looking brown with pictures? Yeah film. It'll come back from the lab with black ends. Use that bit :)

If you're enterprising enough you can cut that film leader and sandwich it between the sensor and the ... glass too.

Now go on, go get that old P&S from your cupboard.

#00 screwdriver with a chrome vanadium tip: $2
tweezers: $1.50
Autoglym paint renovator 325ml: $9.50
That 3M stuff I talked about 1L: $80 (don't bother :) )

Thanks Garbz, I have a 4MP Oly as well sitting somewhere in my garage. Works fine, just need to do the little surgery... ;)

Any idea what polishing compound we could use in the US? I found the 3M product here at about $20 for 16oz bottle but wondering what other options I should consider.

BTW, I found the 3M product on Amazon:

CLICK

Is that it?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not the bottle I was talking about (but that could just be the "for machine use' difference).

I won't commit to saying if that 3M product is the same, even though it has the same name, but I found the Autoglym product on amazon too: Amazon.com: AUT 10325 PAINT RENOVATOR - 325 ML: Automotive

But as I mentioned any rubbing compound that is Alu Oxide based, and incredibly fine designed for finishing after 2000 grit sanding or thereabouts should do.

I suggest spot testing it on an old filter or picture frame :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you! Order has been placed. Will let you know about the process.

One thought, something worth doing is normally worth using powertools to do. If you have a dremel or other slow spinning rotary tool see if you can't get a woolen buffing wheel to help get the coating off :)

That's an idea... However, I might stick with hand rubbing, as I have more control. I don't mind the extra time. I do have two dremels with adjustable speed but I'll feel better doing it by hand. Thanks for the suggestion though. ;)

Garbz, a question for ya... I got to the sensor/filter part ok, now I need to remove the square filter but it seems to be holding on to what looks like a socket. I'm gently scraping off the glue on the sides hoping it will dislodge. I am adding a tiny bit of alcohol (90%) and it seems to help a bit. Do you know if I can use Acetone on this? It would probably make my life easier but I don't want to destroy the sensor.

Thanks.

Nevermind, it's safely off! :D

Done!!! Put it back together, attached an old Leica IR filter and shot some greenery and the sky outside, and voila! IR ready!!!

Here it's the first picture, sharpened in PS. You'll notice the edges (lower left and upper right) of my hand held filter, It'll have to do for now until I make a filter holder for it.

IROly01.jpg

Oh yes, one more thing... What I modified was an Olympus Camedia C-4000 Z. Should anyone want the exploded parts diagram for this or the C-4100, just IM me and I'll e-mail you a copy.

A few more that I just took:

Oly02.jpg

Oly04.jpg

Oly06.jpg

Work in progress...

Tried this with a Canon Powershot A85.

It's so damn difficult it can't possibly be worth it. Probably will end up throwing all the parts in the trash.

Here's a great write up on how to do it.. makes it look easy.
thustra.com: Canon A70 - IR Modification

Tried this with a Canon Powershot A85.

It's so damn difficult it can't possibly be worth it. Probably will end up throwing all the parts in the trash.

So damn difficult is a matter of the camera you have. That writeup for the A70 just shows what an absolute mess of tiny parts the camera is. My above pictures on the Olympus were complete. The entire camera dismantled into 3 pieces to reveal the sensor.

Being worth it is a matter of opinion. Given the afternoon spent doing this and the result:
5263272756_3584f06f41_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back