How to process 35mm film at home

ozcarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a beginer photographer and I have many many rolls of film that i would like to process to get the negative. I wil then digitize the negatives in a scanner. So, all i really need to know is how to process the film at home or how to set up a procesing lab at home. Will this be too expensive or is there a an afordable way of doing it? After all, all I need is the negatives. Thanks in advance for your help.
-Oz:wink:

Hi and welcome.

Your films...black & white or colour?

And do you intend to continue with film?

developing black and white negatives at home is easy and cheap.

color is more complicated, b asically due to temperature colors.

check ilfords' website, they have a pdf file with a "how to develop a roll of film with a list of all the equipment one would need.

most can be found on ebay or even new it isn't a huge out put of money.

you will need a changing bag or a room that is completely dark for loading the film on a reel and then placing it in a tank. After that, everything can be done under room light. You will need to find a nice quiet place for hanging and drying the film. Quiet meaning, not a lot of foot traffic, that stirs up dust which is not a good thing for wet negatives. A bathroom will do, or there are other ways and DIY ways to hang the film over night for drying.

An affordable way of processing films? yeah, ebay is your friend here!

Loads of processing tanks, spirals & sundries very cheap. One thing I would say though is don't be even tempted to buy oput of date chemicals through ebay. Much better to goto your local shop & buy them fresh & new.

Follow ann's reccomendation of the Ilford guide to processing your own films & check out some of the posts in the Darkroom section here.

I really hope film photography isn't alternative photography just yet! :cry:

hm, i remember when i was processing my film at home. nightmare. u can find out if u can rent out a dark room, like in belfast we can rent out dark rooms and they have all the facilities, but yeah if u never done it before u probably better doing a test film so u dont ruin your proper ones.
plus i didnt have a drying cabinet and all my films dried with water marks on them, it wasnt very noticeable but still annoying.

Most reactions

Back